Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam HS-P82  (Read 47210 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: tascam HS-P82
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
What's the minimum data rate for the CF cards? I know to use type 1 cards and they need to be udma applicable, but I don't know the minimum speed. All thats on the tested list is stuff from Sandisk.
I would use 60MBps write speed at least - I don't know the Sandisk speeds but you could look this up

400x. That jives a bit with what I've seen elsewhere since asking. Thanks.

you. will. love. it.

sure its heavy, sure its big, you can't stealth with it, but once you get the hang of it, look out!
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »
What's the minimum data rate for the CF cards? I know to use type 1 cards and they need to be udma applicable, but I don't know the minimum speed. All thats on the tested list is stuff from Sandisk.
I would use 60MBps write speed at least - I don't know the Sandisk speeds but you could look this up

400x. That jives a bit with what I've seen elsewhere since asking. Thanks.

you. will. love. it.

sure its heavy, sure its big, you can't stealth with it, but once you get the hang of it, look out!

Well, the weight and size won't be much of an issue for the multi-track stuff as long as I can find somewhere off to the side of a stage or run stuff through the snake back to the sbd. Powering is more of a concern at the moment; this thing is like a fat man in more ways than one and my battery is the twinkie. I'm loathe to buy a new jumbo battery for this thing, and there is one of my frequent haunts that I don't think I can mooch power from.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2013, 04:11:18 AM »
Louie can tell ya which battery to get, enjoy, let me know if you have questions
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
Yeah, thats about $100 more than I want to spend right now, this fall has more potential there. So my stopgap is my 100wh tekkeon 3450i w/ expansion unit. That should get me around 3 hours and the AAs another hour. Realistically, thats setup and 2 sets if I'm really careful about it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
Don't forget Batteries Plus has cheap 12V lead.  It's not the perfect solution, but it's really cheap and could get you by until you can afford the large capacity li-ions.  FWIW, a 12V 10Amp Hour SLA should run you between $30 and $35 and weighs between 4 and 5 pounds.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
I use a 12ah 12v SLA and it works great - since I only carry the hs-p82 the battery and occasionally one of my tube PS's other than mics and cables its not too bad - I am going to grab a lifepo4 SLA replacement batt soon though

You don't need external pre's or AD's with it the internals are excellent

If you need AES I/o buy a used snake off the bay as the 25pin is also AES compliant - I got a used one for $45 shipped
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:16:10 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

stevetoney

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »

So tempted. 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »
I use a 12ah 12v SLA and it works great - since I only carry the hs-p82 the battery and occasionally one of my tube PS's other than mics and cables its not too bad - I am going to grab a lifepo4 SLA replacement batt soon though

whats the running time on that? Looks like 5 or 6 hours if I did the math right. That actually has potential. Sure, the weight blows, but add a few more pounds and I'll just use a little suitcase wagon to get to from the car or apt to gigs anyway.  :P There is a point at which carrying weight is stupidly farcical and I think thats about 1/4th to 1/3rd of your body weight.

The unit is around 10lbs, the portabrace bag is another 4. Cables/mics are another 5lbs, that leaves a few pounds before I start walking with a 25 degree list to port or employing a sherpa.

lol, true, I wouldn't have bought it if the signal path wasn't good enough. There is basically zero chance of me running an external preamp to replace existing channels on a recorder with more than 6 isolated inputs or costs 4 digits. I can use my usbpre2 as a clock sync with it and daisy chain another 2 or 4 if I need the extras, but starting with 8 should suffice on all but 2 of the bands I'm targeting with this.

So tempted. 

Do you need the extra channels or is that just gear lust? I wanted the channels; I can easily think of occasions where I'll run 6-8, and a couple where I'll want to gang another recorder to it for 9+ and figured I only needed to haul the gear to/from, but that space wouldn't be an issue during the gig. For those occasions, I'm keeping my usbpre2>pcm-d50 run-n-gun setup.

edit: corrected question above.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:17:02 AM by page »

stevetoney

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
Do you need the extra channels or is that just gear lust? I wanted the channels; I can easily think of occasions where I'll run 6-8,

Oh hell, I'd never need all the channels, so gear lust for sure.  I'm a hobbyist, so any gear purchase is a result of gear lust. 

That said, the logic goes that it's all about the sound and when a unit provides 'the sound' in a new all-in-one that comes in around the ballpark of a used 744, while eliminating the need to carry all the extras, well then the extra channels are just along for the ride.  It would be nice if Tascam would put out a 4-channel version of the HS-P82. 

So that's the temptation for me since this is the first all-in-one that I'd care to own that is both affordable and has the sound. 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
So that's the temptation for me since this is the first all-in-one that I'd care to own that is both affordable and has the sound.

fair enough. I live close enough to walk to a lot of places and typically walk a couple blocks to get to the car and again from the car to a venue so I've never been one to lug a ton of junk around.

I'm still a hobbyest, but I'll admit I'm pushing the edge of that envelope. The fishing analogy still fits; I'm still fishing, but now I'm working up to a yacht and a fish finder for deep sea adventures.

stevetoney

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
fair enough. I live close enough to walk to a lot of places and typically walk a couple blocks to get to the car and again from the car to a venue so I've never been one to lug a ton of junk around.

For festival days when I need lots of battery power, Bean can barely lift my bag it's so heavy (I'm 6'3" and close to 300...Bean's quite a bit less than me :) ).  I have a big bag and carry alot of lead.  By the end of a festival weekend, bag carrying fatigue is a real issue for me, but I'd rather 'suffer' over the weekend and come home with the goods than not...it's a conscious choice.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

For festival days when I need lots of battery power, Bean can barely lift my bag it's so heavy (I'm 6'3" and close to 300...Bean's quite a bit less than me :) ).  I have a big bag and carry alot of lead.  By the end of a festival weekend, bag carrying fatigue is a real issue for me, but I'd rather 'suffer' over the weekend and come home with the goods than not...it's a conscious choice.

Makes sense. And from what I remember, I'm less than Bean.

We'll see, it should arrive tail end of this week.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »
I use at least 6 usually b/c I am grabbing a pair of mics plus 4 subgroups and then two extra channels for whatever I want more of in my mix. The mixing feature is what sold me on this rig. It is so easy to just dial in a mix and not have to go back and spend hours remixing. The midside mixing feature is a real plus too. I could go on here or you could just go back and read the thread in the Recorders forum.

stevetoney

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
I use at least 6 usually b/c I am grabbing a pair of mics plus 4 subgroups and then two extra channels for whatever I want more of in my mix. The mixing feature is what sold me on this rig. It is so easy to just dial in a mix and not have to go back and spend hours remixing. The midside mixing feature is a real plus too. I could go on here or you could just go back and read the thread in the Recorders forum.

How do you know ahead of time what mix to dial in?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
I reset my mixer screen before every show and then adjust once I have all my channel assignments.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com