Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SF 6.0 normalizing versus rms  (Read 4208 times)

Offline teamakg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:SF 6.0 normalizing versus rms
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 07:37:33 PM »
"thanks...one more question.  if i have a recording (sbd>ua5>jb3) where my levels are low across the plane, would i want to use the peak or rms normalization?  i'd want the peak right?"

correct

"and if i had a recording where the levels were a little high i'd want to compress it or even it out with the rms function right?  how exactly does normalize work?  it doesn't screw up the file at all? "

if the levels arent clipping(over 0) then I wouldnt worry about it unless theres a drastic difference in levels across the whole waveform. instead of normalizing(rms) look at Wavehammer...SF6's built in compressor. dont have SF in front of me so I cant tell you exactly where it is located.

compressor how-to basics:
1. Set the threshold level to the point at which you wish compression to take effect. Signals below this level will not be affected. Signal levels above the threshold will be reduced according to the compression ratio.
2. Set the compression ratio. Ratios of 5:1 or less will produce fairly smooth compression; ratios of 10:1 or more will produce more severe cutting off. ratios of 2:1 ad 3:1 are nice in that you generally cant hear the compressor "breathe"
3. Set the attack time. This is the delay between detection of a signal above the threshold, and the commencement of compression (ie. the time it takes to "attack" the signal). measured in ms, I found <1ms produces good results.
4. Set the decay time. This is the time taken to release the signal from compression. measured in ms, I usually set this around 30ms.
5. output gain. you should have level meters showing what the effect of the compressor is. bump up your output gain to get the highest peaks near 0 coming out of the compressor.

some compressors have input gain, but I usually leave this flat.

+T for some great info

Offline rdptha2nd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
Re: SF 6.0 normalizing versus rms
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the info...I am learning as I go.   :)
Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com