Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Solo Acoustic in Unfamiliar Venue -- Where Would You Tape From?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I'm going to be taping a solo acoustic performance (acoustic guitar and probably some harmonica) at The Memorial Opera House in Valparaiso, Indiana tomorrow night.  Based on my post in the Venue Forum, nobody knows anything about this place.  A photo of the room is located here:

http://www.mohlive.com/about.htm

The seating is all reserved, and since I had no idea where to try to tape from the artist put me on the guest list so that I wouldn't be tied down to a particular seat.  Obviously, I want to get the best sound possible, but a SBD patch is probably not in the cards (they're given only on very special occasions, and I'm not going to ask unless he offers).  But otherwise he is on my side in terms of trying to get me in the best spot possible to tape from.  I've never taped on-stage before -- looking at the photo of the room, would that be an ideal setup for a solo acoustic performance?  Can it be done discreetly, so as not to interrupt sight lines of people who paid close to $50 to be there?  Or bother the artist?  My primary rig consists of KM140s (with actives) > HD-P2.  I also have SP-CMC-8s, an R-09HR, and an M10.  I'm looking for advice on what people think they would try in this situation.  I don't know if anybody has ever taped him on-stage before, so I want to know IF you would try that and, if so, HOW you would set it up.  I want to be prepared before I ask about it tomorrow.  I've got ~15-foot active cables for the KM140s and a pair of 25-foot XLRs.

Somewhat complicating matters is the fact that my e-mail to the venue a month ago about taping was never returned.  The band is checking with them to make sure they don't mind that I tape.  So if, indeed, I'm able to tape there's still a chance that the venue could restrict where I tape from.  So I'm also interested in hearing peoples' Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:41:19 AM by mattmiller »
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Solo Acoustic in Unfamiliar Venue -- Where Would You Tape From?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
I'd go for onstage if it's just him. Try to catch some of his vocal monitor in one of your mics (either on axis or otherwise), and then aim the other one "him" for all instrumental effects. Plan B would involve moving back to any spot you can get away with.

best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
Is the artist completely acoustic or is he going to use PA?  If he is going to use PA maybe you could clamp your mics to the PA mic stand(s), run your active cables to the stage lip and put your mic bodies there.  Point one mic a the guitar, and the other at his head.  That would be a low profile setup.  If the artist is not using PA, get a short (< 1 m high) mic stand and use that.  I have found that if you keep the mic stand below the artist's head, nobody complains about sight lines.  It sounds like you have the cooperation of the artist, so that gives you some leeway.  If you act with confidence and yet attempt to be discreet, I have found putting mics on stage is not a problem.  Good luck.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
Is the artist completely acoustic or is he going to use PA?

He has to be using a PA system.  The place looks way too big not to.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com