Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best under-$1000-pair miniatures?  (Read 17470 times)

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
Re: Best under-$1000-pair miniatures?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
I'd look into Church Audio mics before you seal the deal on MM product. CA-14's are very nice.

Thanks - yeah I've emailed Chris a couple of times about his mics. They have a lot of fans, and I'd love to hear some controlled listening tests/comps. Maybe I'll have to do some myself. After this foray I've got a feeling I'll end up with more miniature mics than I need(!)

Dave

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
I just recently bought the Nevaton MCE400's. I previously owned the 4060's (>MMA6000).

So far I've run the Nevaton's 2x into my FR2LE. I like the Nevaton's better (not that I didn't love the DPA's)...but even if they cost the same I'd still go with the Nevaton's. Luckily the Nevaton's cost about half as much.

I'll be running the Nevaton > Tinybox > Sony M10.

I'll post some pics once the Tinybox arrives.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »
Hey, thanks MIKE B - I'll check them out. What do you like about the Nevatons that you think is better than the DPAs?

[PS - Just checking out some of Soundman's MCE400 tracks...]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:19:13 AM by groovon »

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
if youre looking for something similiar to DPA omnis..

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-BMC-23
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Thanks!

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
Thanks!

if for some reason you end up pulling the trigger on those..make sure to get the proper connectors on them and the proper power  supply (for high spls)..ask Chris Carfagno (the owner) before buying.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
Hey, thanks MIKE B - I'll check them out. What do you like about the Nevatons that you think is better than the DPAs?

[PS - Just checking out some of Soundman's MCE400 tracks...]

The best I can describe it is a more full sound.

I have a few recordings with them over at cotapers.org

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »
Any opinions out there of the Sennheiser electret (MKE2/4) 'sound', if I can put it like that, and possibly whether you've heard or used the Sennheiser-cap offerings from Mic Madness?

Thanks

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »
Any opinions out there of the Sennheiser electret (MKE2/4) 'sound', if I can put it like that, and possibly whether you've heard or used the Sennheiser-cap offerings from Mic Madness?

Thanks
I would rate the sound a moderately detailed, and warm.
It compares quite nicely to the Neumann sound in my opinion.

I've got some samples up on my website, http://Soundmann.com.  The mke2 sound is quite similar to my "ke4" capsules.

By the way, the cardioid (mke40) sound nice too, but are lacking bass.  I don't find that a problem -- most shows have too much bass anyways, but just be aware of that.  But I have never been disappointed in a show with the mke40, it still sounds great, you just don't get hammered with the bass on the recording.  It can also be boosted in post if you really want it there too.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

adrianf74

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »

Thanks
The "best" under-$1000 pair of miniatures is really a "personal preference" scenario.  I liken mics to underwear; some prefer boxers and other briefs and only you can decide what "fits" you best.

I was, at one point, thinking of DPA-4061s/CS HEBs.  Then I got to thinking... is spending 7-to-ten-times the money on a set of mics going to improve my recordings by 7-to-ten-times the quality?  The answer here is "highly unlikely."

I ended up selling my Sound Professionals CMC-8's (AT-933 cards) with battery box.... and replaced it with the following gear: CAFS-OMNI, CA-UBB, CA-14/o, CA-14/c, CA-14 DEAD RATS (for windy days) and a CA-9100 Preamp.  I like what I've heard with the CA-14/o and /c (from DIME and a few other sources).   I was considering the B3's and the Audix Cards but when I started getting into the amount of $$ that I was going to drop, I figured it was better to have some choices to pull from.  At least now, I can pick what I need to run depending on the show I'm at and even the CAFS-OMNI mics, as small as they are, have pulled some decent results with minmal EQing.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »

Thanks
I would rate the sound a moderately detailed, and warm.
It compares quite nicely to the Neumann sound in my opinion.

I've got some samples up on my website, http://Soundmann.com.  The mke2 sound is quite similar to my "ke4" capsules.

By the way, the cardioid (mke40) sound nice too, but are lacking bass.  I don't find that a problem -- most shows have too much bass anyways, but just be aware of that.  But I have never been disappointed in a show with the mke40, it still sounds great, you just don't get hammered with the bass on the recording.  It can also be boosted in post if you really want it there too.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I've been listening to your page of concert recordings over the weekend, and am mightily impressed. I did catch the MKE4 cuts in there. It's hard to judge mics 100% though not knowing the mic position, environment, band, PA layout etc. But very worthwhile nevertheless and an extremely valuable piece of work on your part. BTW, the best recordings by far IMO were with the AKG 463s. I'm biased, though!, and I'm guessing those mics were more ideally positioned than many of the others.

Lastly, are there any other available options (besides DIY, which I may eventually try) using the Sennheiser capsules.

On MM -  I came across a negative review of [some other] Mic Madness gear, but from the on-site pics their Sennheiser-cap models look pretty solid and well-finished to me. Have you any experience of them?

cheers!
Dave

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
2nd that.  CA-14 cards> ST9100 is about as good as you can get for <$1K.  Not quite "miniature", but in between the dpa 406x and Schoeps.

I'd look into Church Audio mics before you seal the deal on MM product. CA-14's are very nice.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

adrianf74

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
2nd that.  CA-14 cards> ST9100 is about as good as you can get for <$1K.  Not quite "miniature", but in between the dpa 406x and Schoeps.

That was the reason I went with the ST-9100 and CA-14's.  I'm not gonna find mics that perform that much greater for two-to-three times the cost.  I'm in Toronto, Canada so I have to pay 13% tax on my purchase... but for around $400, I got Dead Rats, CA-UBB (for 007 needs), ST-9100, CA-14/c, and CA-14/o.  It gives me a considerable amount of flexibility depending on what I'm recording.  I also picked up the CAFS-OMNIs about 9 months ago when they were on super special... so make that $500.... even then, I'm gonna be happy with the choice I have to pick from.

I'll add that Chris is building and sending me a newly revised CA-14/c and /o with a smaller membrane for the windscreen.  He said the material is about 20% smaller than the current build without any affect to the sound quality/wind noise, etc.  I have the dead rats for when it's really bad out.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
I see your logic, guys, and appreciate the feedback.

I think I'm hooked on the DPA4060 sound though - I haven't yet heard a clip using them that hasn't floored me.

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
I see your logic, guys, and appreciate the feedback.

I think I'm hooked on the DPA4060 sound though - I haven't yet heard a clip using them that hasn't floored me.
I would definitely second the nevaton mce 400 as well. They haves nice warm sound that still has the necessary detail. Check some samples out. Peace out

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com