Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR Mic Cables - What Do You Use?  (Read 20585 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: XLR Mic Cables - What Do You Use?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
Jason,   As for what I hear, and at the risk of using terms that cannot be defined scientifically, I hear a richer low end and what seems to me to be a more detailed sound across all frequencies with the silver cables as opposed to the copper.  And yet I also feel like the highs are sometimes almost to high with the silver.  I also believe that I would be hard pressed to find any real "problems" with the copper cables, and just to be clear when I say copper I do mean things like the Canare Gepco, Belden or any of the better coppers that have shielding.    As for RFI rejection, is there a good, better, best type of shielding...I don't really know.  I do know that I am slowly phasing out any of the cables I have that are not shielded.  IN fact just last weekend I ended up with a cell phone noise in one of the eight channels I was running due to a non shielded cable.  But since I am running an 8 track recorder with various preamps I don't want to spend the money all at once to switch out the non shielded stuff.  The other thing I have noticed with the various solid silver cables is that they seem to be a much beefer cable, thicker jackets along with thicker layers of insulation internally.  I say solid silvers because the Belden silver plated is just the opposite with a much narrower diameter.  If I had the money I would run all silver cables.  I'd opt to get the highest quality I could.  Would the difference or even perceived difference be worth it?  It would to me.  But then it might not be to someone else.   IN the big picture I think we all agree that not using the cheapest cables is best.  Using cables with a decent shield in necessary.  Beyond that I think the Copper VS Silver  becomes more a personal choice.  and like you said the only real way is to do a side be side comparison, but setting up a test that is exactly the same except for cables is not that easy.  Even differences of a few inches in mic placement can make a difference and it would have to be the exact same material etc, etc. 

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
while we haven't brought up hdmi cables, I thought I would share this link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/

CNET doesn't think more than $10 should be paid on a single hdmi cable since they don't think any difference exists between a cable $10 or less and a $50 cable.

Harbor Freight Tools actually had HDMI cables for $8 or so.

Are you sure Mr. $2k Cables was telling the truth? For that much money, you should be able to pull a truck out of the mud with them! Beyond a certain point, you just can't get any better, at least in listening quality. There may be measurable differences, but as to whether you could hear a difference, I'm very skeptical about high-priced cables. I use Belden wire with Neutrik XLR connectors, assembled by a dude I used to work with who repaired our equipment. He always said for most applications, standard cables in the $20 - $50 range were fine. The only time one should consider more-expensive cables would be for a recording studio.

But I did see XLR cables in the closeout aisle at Wal Mart once...
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
I found this interesting statement on the silveraudio.com site. See http://www.silveraudio.com/faqs.htm

At audio frequencies however, any effect silver plated conductors (not connectors) MIGHT have on the signal could only be bad. At audio frequencies, otherwise small differences in simple DC resistance significantly alters impedance. Therefore, the presence of both silver and copper in the signal path is capable of creating two different, frequency dependant, conductive pathways to the signal which is a non-linearity that NO audio cable should be causing, especially not a "high-end" audio cable!

Their position is that solid silver is better and they use an 8 conductor design which sounds like the same thing jlykos mentioned as being implemented in the Moon Audio cable he uses.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
I wonder whether or not the silver wire which I assume is thicker than quad cable is more susceptible to noise. And I also wonder about why a company like Mogami who has done lots of research in this area doesn't sell them.

The insulation material is perhaps far more significant.  The properties are also more easily measured.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »
Ho Ho Silvers and am very happy with them still...
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
Happy with my Darktrain XLR cables and these will be hard to come by.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline percoplus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
I just paid $59 each for two 50' XLR cables at a local store. RapcoHorizon Concert Series M5 copper I think. Came home, saw in the Markertek catalog prices ranging from $22 Supersavers to Mogami at $79 for 50 feet. I don't mind paying for quality, but did I pay too much? Seems for just a few dollars more I could get a 4-channel snake, which is what I really need.

Why do XLRs come with different number of conductors?

What does "RoHS" mean?

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:56 PM »
Approximately a buck a foot for mic cables is not out of line, so I would no worry about spending $59 for 50' cables.

XLRs have different number of conductors because sometimes three at once is not enough.  For example, many stereo mics use 5-pin XLRs, and you can get 5 conductor cables for them.  My "standard" mic cable has 5 conductors with 5-pin XLRs on both ends since I use stereo mics so much.  I also have a remotely controllable stereo mic that uses a 7 conductor cable and 7-pin XLRs.  Some gear uses a 4-pin XLR as a power connector.

As for the meaning of RoHS, Google it.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
RoHS = reduction of hazardous substances

Sounds like typical retail markup.  The advantage is you don't have to wait for the UPS guy.  And you get to choose the ones with the prettiest packaging.  And with a lifetime warranty, you have a human face to yell and scream at.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
For festival recording I use a pair of Kind Kables Chameleons, a pair of Kind Kables coppers and a pair of 30' Mogami Golds depending on the set up. I think as long as the cables are of decent quality you are ok but the custom stereo cables with stubbie or right angle ends are just easier to lug around and use than cables meant for stage use. And the price I paid for the Kind Kables is roughly equivalent to buying two quality stage cables.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:00:23 PM by cybergaloot »
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »
RoHS = reduction of hazardous substances

Sounds like typical retail markup.  The advantage is you don't have to wait for the UPS guy.  And you get to choose the ones with the prettiest packaging.  And with a lifetime warranty, you have a human face to yell and scream at.

in our application RoHS refers to no lead content in electronics, ie solder and batteries.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
My cables just need to be reliable and not be noisy.

Winner

Outside of specific uses (e.g. thinner cable for certain uses or better insulated for harsher environments), I generally don't put much thought in it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
There is absolutely no difference. I use a 20 dollar cable and as long as they don't add noise or cross signals, or get radio interference they are all the same.

The impact of those factors will not always be obvious.

Not all cables are the same.  They don't even measure the same.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »

I like this one, guys...

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

man... I need some of those brilliant pebbles...

I'll need them on all of my cables...
How did I miss these things, I need a ton of these pebbles for all of my gear.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:22:16 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com