Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What was your first recording device?  (Read 17370 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: What was your first recording device?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Something along the lines of this but not as nice and certainly not a brand name. It was the '60s and I remember trying for a week to record my sister's copy of Sgt. Pepper to it without my friends making noise (wookies even then!). I had a Realistic 8 track recorder, various cassette recorders and a Docoder Reel to Reel (still have it, weighs a ton!). But my first taper recorder was a Zoom H2 which I still have in the collection and which works much better than the detractors would have you believe, especially when you use an external preamp and mics.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline owainturner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
Almost ashamed to admit it but my first device was this;

(I'm very new to the game!)

:) I use to record gigs from internals until I came across this board, now I'm onto CA gear and M10... :)

I have to say the Sony Walkman in the fist post is absolutely gorgeous, they don't make devices like that anymore.

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »

so no one had one of these in their pocket?

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
There are also plenty of vintage recorders videos made by die-hard collectors on YouTube !!!
Just follow the link below : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1qOHWna4E

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline biker

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Trade List
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
I had a rounded plastic cassette recorder like the one here: http://etsy-vintage.blogspot.com/2010/03/vintage-panasonic-portable-cassette.html but I could have sworn it was stereo. First concert I taped was Styx in Pekin IL when I was about 14. I found the tapes! Styx was 9/29/1977 and then I caught a Queen show at the Checkerdome in St Louis on Thanksgiving Day - 11/25/1978. Smuggled it in under my coat. I was hanging out after the Styx show as my Dad wasn't going to pick me up until later when I stumbled across John Panozzo. Managed to talk to him about drumming for a few minutes, all the while terrified the recorder would fall out and I'd be busted!

Ram Jam opened for Styx and I caught Black Betty on tape at the end of their set.

My Dad went with me to the Queen show, and I remember the entire row in front of us was smoking it up. I tried to inhale as much as possible without being noticed, but I doubt I fooled him any!

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
I had a rounded plastic cassette recorder like the one here: http://etsy-vintage.blogspot.com/2010/03/vintage-panasonic-portable-cassette.html but I could have sworn it was stereo. First concert I taped was Styx in Pekin IL when I was about 14. I found the tapes! Styx was 9/29/1977 and then I caught a Queen show at the Checkerdome in St Louis on Thanksgiving Day - 11/25/1978. Smuggled it in under my coat. I was hanging out after the Styx show as my Dad wasn't going to pick me up until later when I stumbled across John Panozzo. Managed to talk to him about drumming for a few minutes, all the while terrified the recorder would fall out and I'd be busted!

Ram Jam opened for Styx and I caught Black Betty on tape at the end of their set.

My Dad went with me to the Queen show, and I remember the entire row in front of us was smoking it up. I tried to inhale as much as possible without being noticed, but I doubt I fooled him any!

Added bonus - the rare Pickwick blank cassette sighting.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
You need to transfer those if you haven't already, just for nostalgia's sake.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
I had a couple of small reel-to-reel recorders when I was a kid but never recorded any music with them. I did record a Heart concert in Huntsville, Ala., in the mid to late 1970s with a single mic cassette recorder that's still lying around somewhere. The recording was not that good but I'd love to find the tape. I taped a local punk band with it as well, then didn't get truly into "taping" until 2007 when I bought an R-09, which I still use. I primarily use the Fostex FR-2LE now.

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com