Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163633 times)

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »

That said, I've never used it, even for 4-channel ambisonic-microphone recording for which it would be most applicable (for me).  It's not overly difficult to make sure the beginning of all files are aligned in the editor using the appropriate "snap-to" settings.

are you saying that the time alignment is sometimes off "within the r-44" when  simultaneously recording tracks

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #451 on: December 14, 2018, 10:34:49 AM »
No.
The recorded tracks will be in sync with each other regardless of which WAV format you choose to write on the R44.

I'm saying that upon import of those files to your editor, a single file containing all 4 channels should import with all four of them time aligned (if the editor will accept the file).  Single channel or stereo files should as well, but check to make certain that the start of each file truly aligned at the sample-level (an action which may be determined by the snap-to settings).  Also, after import the editor may continue to treat the imported multichannel WAV as a single entity, keeping the channels "locked" together if dragged along the timeline so that they move as a unit rather than as 4 separate individual channels or 2 seperate 2-channel stereo files.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #452 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
gotcha... thanks

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2018, 07:17:59 PM »
I've synch'd 4 stereo tracks together with 2 R44's with the 1/4" cable and sometimes, especially when using the Digital IN on the master, the tracks will fail to line up exactly. They are close, but not quits. Most of the time it EXACT, but occasionally, I don't know why, one channel drifts.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »
I've never run two R-44's together in master/slave mode, but have chained one with other recorders to share the same clock.  However, from the discussion here about syncing two of them years back, I recall that it is important to disable pre-record on both machines.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #455 on: December 18, 2018, 10:02:16 AM »
Hm.
What other recorders can you chain to the R44?
That’s pretty interesting. Sometimes I would just need another 2 channels.
Now I’m really interested!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #456 on: December 18, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
Another multichannel recorder with SPDIF.

I've used R44 and Tascam DR680 together many times.  The end result are clock-sync'd but not start/stop-aligned files on both machines.  You need to push RECORD and STOP separately on both machines so there is some time-offset to the otherwise clock-sync'd files.

That combination works with either recorder "in front" serving as master-clock.  To maximize channel count, I'll typically I'll use the R-44 in front as master clock, recording 4 channels to that machine and sending it's SPDIF output to the DR-680.  The 680's clock locks to the SPDIF signal from the R-44.  It's not actually necessary to record the SPIF signal on the DR-680, but unless low on cardspace I'll record it to the stereo-mix channel of the DR-680 anyway to help with and confirm file-alignment once all the files from both machines are imported to the editor.  This way I can record 10 unique time-sync'd channels in total - 4 on the R-44 and 6 on the DR-680.  The additional stereo channel being "thrown away" after aligning the files.

Going the other way with the DR-680 in front serving as master clock and sending SPDIF out to the R-44 limits the arrangement to two mic-input channels available on the R-44.  That's because when setup to accept a SPDIF input, the R-44 records that SPDIF input to chs 3/4.  This limits this arrangement to 8 unique channels total rather than 10.

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #457 on: December 22, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
Another multichannel recorder with SPDIF.

I've used R44 and Tascam DR680 together many times.  The end result are clock-sync'd but not start/stop-aligned files on both machines.  You need to push RECORD and STOP separately on both machines so there is some time-offset to the otherwise clock-sync'd files.

That combination works with either recorder "in front" serving as master-clock.  To maximize channel count, I'll typically I'll use the R-44 in front as master clock, recording 4 channels to that machine and sending it's SPDIF output to the DR-680.  The 680's clock locks to the SPDIF signal from the R-44.  It's not actually necessary to record the SPIF signal on the DR-680, but unless low on cardspace I'll record it to the stereo-mix channel of the DR-680 anyway to help with and confirm file-alignment once all the files from both machines are imported to the editor.  This way I can record 10 unique time-sync'd channels in total - 4 on the R-44 and 6 on the DR-680.  The additional stereo channel being "thrown away" after aligning the files.

Going the other way with the DR-680 in front serving as master clock and sending SPDIF out to the R-44 limits the arrangement to two mic-input channels available on the R-44.  That's because when setup to accept a SPDIF input, the R-44 records that SPDIF input to chs 3/4.  This limits this arrangement to 8 unique channels total rather than 10.

You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder.
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #458 on: December 26, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
I also always keep the R-44 tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and carry it in my pants.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #459 on: December 26, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
Ewwww

I also always keep the R-44 tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and carry it in my pants.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
I recorded a concert last year where I needed six channels, so I used both of my R-44s together. I set the second deck for 2 + 2 digital+analog recording, and connected the S/P-DIF output of the first deck to the S/P-DIF input of the second deck. It was necessary to turn off the buffering feature on both decks for this to work; I forget exactly why. Anyway, everything stayed locked together perfectly.

To mix down the results in my editing software, I just had to align the first two channels from the first deck with the identical pair from the second deck, which was very easy to do visually.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:23:02 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
thank you master gutbucket.... was that in the manual?  i couldnt find it, and it was one of the first questions I was looking for even before I bought it.

What if I want to re title each file, but also want to play it back at a later date?  Does the 1,2,3,4 have to be the only characters in the title?  or first or last?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
To play the files from the R44 they need to be named 1.wav, 2.wav, etc.  The containing folder on the SD card can be named whatever you want it to be within reason - I'm sure there are length and special character constraints over the folder name but am not sure what they are. 

So if you want to copy files from the computer back to an SD card to play in the R44, create a folder with a .pjt extension, copy the WAV files to it, and rename them 1.WAV, 2.WAV etc.

Other than that the R44 is not overly particular about recognizing the card and playing the files on it.  There is no need to reinitialize the folder to have it recognize the files in a .pjt folder as a single multitrack project like with some other recorders.

I do this regularly for playing 4 channel recordings made with a DR-2d (which can record 2 pairs of stereo inputs simultaneously but can only playback a single stereo file at a time) :
Move card from DR2d to computer.
Make backup copy of files to HDD.
Create .pjt folder on SD card.
Rename the stereo files to 1.WAV and 2.WAV.
Move the renamed files to the .pjt folder.
Move card to R-44.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #463 on: January 26, 2019, 09:15:36 AM »
So, had my first disaster with the R44, though it was in part user error...

Pretty sure I had it set running 4 channels by mistake, which left me with less battery life than expected. So I had to do a mid-set battery change, and I thought at worst I only missed a minute or so.

Unfortunately, it seems that the first ~hour or so was lost when the battery ran out. The files are still there, and from a memory standpoint it looks like they're there - but there's nothing on them.

Regarding the files, any thoughts?

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #464 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:32 PM »
Today I learned the "repair" function on the R44!! Crisis averted!

Page 56, for future reference: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/R-44E_e02_W.pdf

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com