Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-100 MK II Crackling/Popping Sound When Adjusting the Record Level  (Read 3127 times)

Offline AndyGLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I received my new Tascam DR100 Mark II from B&H yesterday.

I was immediately confronted with a slight, but ever present crackling/popping sound when I adjust the Record Levels (via the ganged knobs on the right side).

I was using a Sennheiser MKH-416 Mic with the Mic Gain on the back set to "H",  however, I unplugged the mic and the record level knob continues to make this crackling/popping sound whenever I turn it. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem or did I just receive a defective unit?

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Sorry to hear of your issues with the new unit. It seems odd to have that type of noise with the gain pots. As I don't have any experience with this unit, I can't really comment on what may be the cause, but I would first look at the battery charge. I would also try at a different mic sens. Is this noise recorded or are you just hearing it through headphones?

Anyway, it is a fledgling unit that many of us will be awaiting to see if you can resolve the issues.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
What you are hearing is usually a dirty pot. Unusual in a new item. I'd talk to B&H to start an RMA.

If you run into this on a unit that's out of warranty, spray in a contact cleaner like Deoxit D series (Red). Then work the dial back and forth.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline AndyGLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Yes, the sound gets recorded.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to return it to B&H.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com