Gear / Technical Help > Cables

cable length

(1/2) > >>

hoyt:
What's the longest I should try to run an xlr cable before degrading the signal?  I suppose it's different for every cable make and model, but what's a general figure?  

Thanks!

--hoyt

leegeddy:

--- Quote from: hoyt on March 18, 2004, 09:26:54 PM ---What's the longest I should try to run an xlr cable before degrading the signal?  I suppose it's different for every cable make and model, but what's a general figure?  

Thanks!

--hoyt

--- End quote ---

i've seen runs in 100 ft. for pro stuff.

marc

sexymexi:
think about a stage snake..  that might run 100's of feet. and for real big stuff.. its gonna be real long.  I wouldn't worry about it, in our position.  I have run like 50 ft cables before, and no problem.  i think the little resistance that it does have, isn't enough to effect anything by any measurable term.   i think its more the connectivity that exists between the cables, if your using more than one cable and having the connections, having to transfer from one cable to another, but all in all, i don't think it makes enought difference to really worry about.. good luck.

matt

jpschust:
the rule alway is the shorter the better, with any cable.  rather than give you any more generalities beyond that, whats the distance and for what purpose....

hoyt:

--- Quote from: jpschust on March 19, 2004, 12:57:08 AM ---the rule alway is the shorter the better, with any cable.  rather than give you any more generalities beyond that, whats the distance and for what purpose....

--- End quote ---

Well, I'd be running it across a stage to mic a piano and/ or a solo instrument.  So I'd like to be able to run the cables to my gear off stage, on a variety of stages.  I'd be buying some cable to put the ends on, so it sounds like I could get 100' cables and be ok.

--hoyt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version