Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noobie Cable/Techflex assembly question  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Noobie Cable/Techflex assembly question
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
After the last few years of purchasing made up cables from our TS Cable makers (great experiences with their products)...I've purchased 100 ft of Silver Milspec Three conductor braided shield cable and intend to build:

1 - 25ft snaked XLR Stereo extension
1 - 15ft Stereo w/ Straight connections snaked for my ADK TL's

I intend to run the Techflex all the way up and into the XLR boot (no stubbies)...I got that on the starting end I just hot melt glue the Techflex to the milspec cable...apply heat shrink tubing over the Techflex...where my mind loses the concept is on the opposite end...

How do I measure and cut to make sure the Techflex end precisely under the opposite end second XLR boot?

Is there enough stretch that you can pull it taught past the cable end to cut and then relax to do the Hot Melt and Heat Shrink tubing?

What tool is best/least expensive for the hobbyist cable maker to cut Techflex?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:15:07 AM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: Noobie Cable/Techflex assembly question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
I always snake the cable/cables first, then cut the flex and hot glue it in place.
I have a pair of kitchen shears (Heavy Duty Scissor) that I use to cut the flex but the cutter on the wire stripper works also.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
I always snake the cable/cables first, then cut the flex and hot glue it in place.
I have a pair of kitchen shears (Heavy Duty Scissor) that I use to cut the flex but the cutter on the wire stripper works also.

The last thing i do is attach the xlrs once I am happy with the postion of the tech flex.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »

Techflex recommends using a hot knife...

Ghetto Solution; but effective in producing clean techflex cuts:

Pick up a cheap paring knife from a dollar store, then heat the knife blade with a butane torch or other controllable flame and cut the techflex laying on a piece of metal or ceramic tile etc.  Alternately; clamp a bare utility knife blade with a pair of vice-grips, heat the blade and cut the techflex laying on metal or tile etc. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:17:51 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »
Great discussion.  I've also thought of doing a project like this, but get confused every time I look at lists of Milspec cable.  Can you point me to where you got the cable, and the exact cable you purchased? 

After the last few years of purchasing made up cables from our TS Cable makers (great experiences with their products)...I've purchased 100 ft of Silver Milspec Three conductor braided shield cable and intend to build:

1 - 25ft snaked XLR Stereo extension
1 - 15ft Stereo w/ Straight connections snaked for my ADK TL's

I intend to run the Techflex all the way up and into the XLR boot (no stubbies)...I got that on the starting end I just hot melt glue the Techflex to the milspec cable...apply heat shrink tubing over the Techflex...where my mind loses the concept is on the opposite end...

How do I measure and cut to make sure the Techflex end precisely under the opposite end second XLR boot?

Is there enough stretch that you can pull it taught past the cable end to cut and then relax to do the Hot Melt and Heat Shrink tubing?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
Great discussion.  I've also thought of doing a project like this, but get confused every time I look at lists of Milspec cable.  Can you point me to where you got the cable, and the exact cable you purchased? 

aysvideo I just searched for "Silver Milspec 22AWG" on ebay...I guess I could have got by with the Two conductor and Braided shield but the price was right on the Three conductor.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I've got a question about the techflex sizing. It stretches to twice it's diameter right? How do you determine which size to use?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »

Techflex recommends using a hot knife...

Ghetto Solution; but effective in producing clean techflex cuts:

Pick up a cheap paring knife from a dollar store, then heat the knife blade with a butane torch or other controllable flame and cut the techflex laying on a piece of metal or ceramic tile etc.  Alternately; clamp a bare utility knife blade with a pair of vice-grips, heat the blade and cut the techflex laying on metal or tile etc.
I use a sharp pair of xcelite 1178m nippers works perfect every time.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com