Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

are these microdots?!

<< < (2/4) > >>

andromedanwarmachine:
(that's good)

thanks John- that's interesting to me actually.

I might truck down to see these guys who are near where I used to work and see if I can utilise my (limited) charm to get exposure to something with one on.

http://www.warehousesound.co.uk/

I think I always intended to do this but wanted to make sure I was 'in the park' before making a fool of myself...

John Willett:
The Warehouse have always been pretty good - DPA mics also used microdots and there are plenty of adaptors that were designed so you could usethe mics on a wide variety of transmitters.

The Other Chris:
This thread meant something completely different to me.  ;)

Massive Dynamic:

--- Quote from: John Willett on June 18, 2014, 11:51:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: andromedanwarmachine on June 18, 2014, 10:00:15 AM ---understood

I've got 6.8mm outside diameter

--- End quote ---

From this picture it does look like a microdot.

But there were quite a few different designs - there were small ones (like the picture I posted) and larger (fatter) ones like the later ones Sennheiser used on the SK2012 transmitters.

Sennheiser used to find that many users were careless when then connected them and the pin on the plug was often shoved into the insulation material on the socket, rather than into the socket itself - so they put a lot of work into fine-tuning the socket and plug to prevent this happening, even with ham-fisted users.

Though the only sure way is to get something that takes a microdot connector and see if it fits.

--- End quote ---

Bumping a fairly old thread, but it's the only one that a search brought up that seems relevant.

Based on a recent concert experience, I am curious about using the d:vice and iPhone for recording. The main downside seems to be the need to use DPA mics.

The Countryman B3 sounds better to my ears than the 406x, and they can be had with the Sennheiser microdots. The question is whether the Sennheiher microdots will fit into the d:vice. Based on John's answer above, the answer doesn't seem to be straightforward.

Does anyone have any direct experience mating the d:vice to Senn microdots?

Gutbucket:
On the microdot connector question, see the various sized coaxial connectors at the top of this CD International website page- https://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables
I and other TS members use their cables for non-blanced / non-phantom-powered DPA connections. The 10-32 size connectors shown on that page are compatible with DPA 'microdot".

Here is the "Microdot" backstory and sizing information found burred elsewhere on that site:
About M-Series Connectors

There are multiple sizes of connectors which practitioners tend to call "Microdot". The most common size uses 10-32 threads, but there are also 5-44 and 1/4-32 variants, as shown in this image.
This style of connector was pioneered by Malco in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Malco was later bought by Microdot, which was later bought by Tyco. Because of this history, users in the industries that use this connector style still call this a "Microdot connector", or even "Malco Connector", even though there are now multiple manufacturers making compatible connectors. "Microdot" is a trademark of Tyco.
The connectors we provide are compatibles made by various manufacturers. They are often improved designs, mechanically more durable than the original Malco connector.

10-32 (M) Connector Details
These connectors have threads that are the same as those on a 10-32 (UNF) machine screw. They are commonly used in non-destructive testing (NDT) and aerospace, on transducers, accelerometers, strain gauges, and force and acoustic sensors, among other applications.

These connectors are often confused with 1/4-32 connectors; they look similar, varying only slightly in size. If in doubt, check your mating connector using a thread gauge or caliper: 1/4-32 threads have a minor diameter of approximately 5.4 mm, while 10-32 threads have a minor diameter of about 3.9 mm. See a thread chart for more details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version