Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shinola  (Read 11034 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shinola
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
(Enjoy your $185 extension cord, I guess.)

The basic extension cord is $75.00 not $185.00

The $185 is a 6 outlet with 2 usb hubs, which is not an extention cord. (Never let the truth get in the way of a good story) Anyway, everything looks to be of decent to very good quality. DIY would cost at least $45 to $90 plus time. That's not much of a mark up. I guess you could go to Lowes and buys one made in China for $25.00 and of much less quality

You do make some fair points here. Also (not to take this to the PZ) the fact that their products are made in America and also kind of expensive relative to stuff made in, say, China, is not an accident. If you want people paid a fair wage to make stuff, it tends to cost more.

The better comparison is to other U.S.-made stuff. I'm not knowledgeable enough about U.S. turntables to make a judgement, but $2500 is about the same price as a mid-range table from Clearaudio or Rega, whose products are (AFAIK) made in Europe, where labor is even more expensive. So it's hard for me to think $2500 is a "good deal" or a fair deal unless the TT is really, really good, and that cartridge, while a nice mid-entry level cartridge, doesn't feel like it's appropriate for a TT at that price. Is that fair?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »
I'm not saying this is the table to buy. I have no idea how it sounds other than what some reviews have said about it. Rather, it is rurnkey and ready to plaY, it has sourced parts from VPI and appears to be of good quality. Whether Rega, Clear Audio or any other manufactures makes a better table at this price, well, I don't know. But, they do not offer a package. This table comes with a phono preamp and cartridge, so you could say that the table is around $1800 and the others add to the cost, for better or worse. In today market, that price is about what is expected for what you get here.

Really, there are a ton of other tables out there that are way more expensive and a much, much less value. The price of this table has become a tempest in the teapot.

IMO Rega make a great arm and value oriented table......but it is mostly injection molded plastic and mdf. Their success is in how they were able to exploit the virtues of their arm in a budget and inexpensive table, which kept them viable during lean years.  When you buy a Rega 3 or lower you are eventually on an upgrade path that, in the end, will eliminate all but the arm. But that is another story and doesn't take away the good value, right out of the box, that Rega's are.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
There's a Shinola store on my block. I went in once to check out the merch. From what I can tell beardos with skinny jeans love this stuff.  :laugh:
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
Raymonda, do you have recommendations for tables that are in the range of $800-$1,500? I mean ready to go, not something you'd assemble.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Raymonda, do you have recommendations for tables that are in the range of $800-$1,500? I mean ready to go, not something you'd assemble.

I haven't tried a ton of turntable's, but I just picked up one of these. Very happy. $800.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-esprit-sb-turntable-ttl-upgrade

Upgraded from a Pro-ject RPM 1.3 (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=rpm13). Totally worth it. Easy to hear the difference between the two.

I thought the RPM 1.3 was okay. It always had a very slight hum when playing the record. The Debut Carbon is pretty close to silent with the extra noise.

The only thing I needed to do with the Debut was put it together and follow the easy to understand directions to set up the counter weight.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 12:44:55 AM »
There are a lot of tables in the price range of 800 to 1500. I would go with something used, as that would give you the best value.

Rega p2
Rega p3
Technics sl1200 mkii or sp15
Aristion RD11
Kenwood kd500, 550, 600 or 650
Linn basic
AR the table or es1
Thorens 125
Thorens 126
VPI hw 19 Mikiv
VPI hw 19jr
VPI Scout master
Linn LP12

Further, Acoustic Sounds, ClearAudio, Basis, Mitchell, Nottingham, Well Tempered, ProJect all make great tables and worth looking into.

The best value is a used Rega p2 for around 250. Couple it with a Denon 103 modded for another 250 and a new preamp that Sutherland is coming out with in the 800 price range and you are good to go.

I was just communicating with Ron and he gave me a early look at this new budget model and it looks great. No I haven't heard it but Ron has never made a bad sounding phono stage and this one should be the new gold standard for budget pres. that leaves you with a 250 under 1500. Use that on some Tangospinner upgrades to the Rega. Then sit back and enjoy.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:47:11 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 12:51:00 AM »
The tables in the list I made have varying degrees of set up. The Rega is the easiest to use.

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I've also been eyeing a Scout Jr. ... worth it or is your route better?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
The scout jr. is a fine table but new at 1300 not as good a value. It has a gimbled arm and not their better unipivot. You can find it used at around 750 or so but even at that price you are better off with a used HW 19 mkiv with a JMW memorial arm. They come up at around 900, used. That will keep you happy well into the twilight years.

That said you will still need a cartridge and preamp if you don't have one, adding to your budget.

Honestly, I think the Rega 250 or 300 arm is one of the best values in hifi, which Is why I recommended it. Plus it is turnkey, too. And, used at 250 to 300 the best value today. With after market tweaks you can push it even further, while keeping it simple.

The HW 19 mkiv. Is buy it and forget it. It is great the way it is.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:33:30 PM by raymonda »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com