Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rycote Single Lyres vs. Duo-Lyre Stiffness / Compliance  (Read 21381 times)

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Rycote Single Lyres vs. Duo-Lyre Stiffness / Compliance
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
I'd like to clarify one thing from this excellent discussion - when recommending the 62 Shore single lyre for lightweight mics such as CM3/OM1, are you using two singles on the shock mount to hold one mic, or just one?
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2022, 02:08:44 PM »
I'd like to clarify one thing from this excellent discussion - when recommending the 62 Shore single lyre for lightweight mics such as CM3/OM1, are you using two singles on the shock mount to hold one mic, or just one?

I think that most folks are running the duals.  I know I am. 

This thread just reminded me that my dual lyres are too rigid.  Ugh, I still have to come up with a solution.

What are you running?  I now have one pair of 72 lyres to run my stereo bar with the CM3s and it's the perfect amount of compliance.  This is replacing the Duo-Lyre which was much too stiff as I mentioned earlier.

I am surprised that I never saw your response, sorry.  I am running this dual lyre mount.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880280-REG/Rycote_041118_INV_8_Microphone_Suspension.html

I think the lyres are 62's and if I run it vertically with my M/S setup I need to keep EVERYTHING away from the stand because the slightest tap can be heard.  It makes stage taping a real challenge.  Maybe they are too soft and not too stiff?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »
Rigpimp:

What you are describing is exactly the situation that led me to contact Rycote and get into the weeds of this thread. The 62-shore Duo-Lyre is FAR too stiff for a pair of Line Audio mics. I know this because I was using the same mount you were. Just as you experienced, I found that the slightest touch on the stand was picked up by the mics. This means the mounts are too stiff to isolate the mics. If they were too soft, you would see the mount sag under the weight and/or the mics wobble around like crazy.

Vantheman:

For a single Line Audio mic or one of similar low mass, you want a pair of 62-shore single Lyres. The one-step solution for that is the INV-6 SOFT. For isolating a pair of Line Audio mics on an SRS 3D-printed mount or similar, you want a pair of 72-shore single Lyres such as found in the "standard" INV-6.

What I actually use for my Line Audio SRS stereo mounts is the SRS Mounting Base and a pair of 72-shore Lyres. To me, this looks better and satisfies my OCD in that is centered. It's also a whopping 4 bucks cheaper than the INV-6!

Just to reiterate for everyone: All of the Rycote Duo-Lyres are MUCH stiffer than a pair of any of the individual Lyres. Don't just look at shore rating - I made that mistake. Rycote does not make this clear at all, until you look at a certain mount, find the list of mics it is intended for, and cross reference the weight of those mics. Then you need to see if the mount is advertised for a certain mic with a windscreen, and that adds additional weight. You typically see that for the Duo-Lyres. The Duo-Lyres are made much thicker in the "compliant" areas that allow the shock mounting to happen. Please see the early parts of this thread for more details.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2022, 01:52:07 AM »
Here’s my solution I’ve used for while.
The longer INV-7 paired with the softer 62 when using my CM3 or CM4.
I can then change the lyres to the original harder 72 when using a slightly heavier mic.

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2023, 05:14:46 AM »
Rigpimp:

What you are describing is exactly the situation that led me to contact Rycote and get into the weeds of this thread. The 62-shore Duo-Lyre is FAR too stiff for a pair of Line Audio mics. I know this because I was using the same mount you were. Just as you experienced, I found that the slightest touch on the stand was picked up by the mics. This means the mounts are too stiff to isolate the mics. If they were too soft, you would see the mount sag under the weight and/or the mics wobble around like crazy.

Vantheman:

For a single Line Audio mic or one of similar low mass, you want a pair of 62-shore single Lyres. The one-step solution for that is the INV-6 SOFT. For isolating a pair of Line Audio mics on an SRS 3D-printed mount or similar, you want a pair of 72-shore single Lyres such as found in the "standard" INV-6.

What I actually use for my Line Audio SRS stereo mounts is the SRS Mounting Base and a pair of 72-shore Lyres. To me, this looks better and satisfies my OCD in that is centered. It's also a whopping 4 bucks cheaper than the INV-6!

Just to reiterate for everyone: All of the Rycote Duo-Lyres are MUCH stiffer than a pair of any of the individual Lyres. Don't just look at shore rating - I made that mistake. Rycote does not make this clear at all, until you look at a certain mount, find the list of mics it is intended for, and cross reference the weight of those mics. Then you need to see if the mount is advertised for a certain mic with a windscreen, and that adds additional weight. You typically see that for the Duo-Lyres. The Duo-Lyres are made much thicker in the "compliant" areas that allow the shock mounting to happen. Please see the early parts of this thread for more details.

A year later....    I just wanted to say thank you for this information. You've saved me both a headache and likely a reasonable amount of money spent purchasing the wrong lyres. 

Cheers!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com