Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 6 channel options - Zoom H6  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: 6 channel options - Zoom H6
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 04:16:49 PM »
I can't steath anything bigger than a DR2d

Same boat here, which is why I tried it.  If you start both recorders together before heading in its more doable.  But even with just two its unwieldy with lots of wires to manage.  Was to much of a PITA for me to peruse regularly given all that front end burden at the show, irrespective of the additional need to do alignment and stretching afterward which just the assumed cost of working this way.  YMMV

I'm not familiar with the F6, but if it is anything like its big brother the F8, the unbalanced 1/4" inputs are in the center of the XLR inputs. 

Its not.  No combo jack inputs on the F6, its XLR input only.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 6 channel options - Zoom H6
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 02:12:47 PM »
I had high hopes that the new Tascam X8 would be an upgraded version of the H6. Same channels, smaller, cell phone control, etc. But they f'ed up the design and its really a four track recorder with two detachable mics. Can't just do 6 channels direct in. Boo.

I've had the same thoughts about doing the IR in setting the sync markers on the Tascam 2D. When I experimented with it, there were minor differences between the decks. So it could be within a 100 sample difference in either direction. Basically useless for time alignment...I need it down to the sample.

If Tascam is able to fix the limitations of the X8 in firmware updates (not that hopeful), it would be an excellent upgrade to the H6. As it is, the H6 is still a nice size for the number of channels. I did a bunch of shows with the six channels on the H6 and then using a Tascam 2D for two additional stereo inputs. I like the potential of the Zoom H8 for a potential 10 tracks, but the physical design on that one is nutso.

And yes, Adobe Audition 3's time stretching algorithm is more accurate the the later versions of Audition.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com