Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rig on a budget  (Read 5986 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rig on a budget
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 08:20:14 AM »
The 4080s don't have anywhere near the same bass response as the 4060s, although noise and sensitivity are similar. [EDIT: They are a lot bigger, too.]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:23:18 AM by aaronji »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
I do believe in paying for quality.

I am recording 100% allowed situations. A lot of Orchestra music.
Also, Phish when i make it to them.
Currently i am in china.

Being in China you might want to check out the B9Audio mics.  There is a thread about them on here and the creator of the mics posts here.  I don't have any personal experience with those mics, but they're certainly worth your time to at least look into.  There are definitely samples of them used in orchestral settings.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »
Another option is getting 2 used akg ck61 caps and nbobs/pfa, which should be doable with that budget. These are a 'standard cardioid microphone and one that many tapers have used for 30+ years. I have a pair of them and their omni and hyper cardioid siblings, the ck62 and ck63 respectively. The cardioid ck61 will get you a nicely balanced recording if set in the right spot.

I wouldn't bother with buying the microphone bodies at this point. The nbob active cables are made by two guys here on the forum and they're a top quality product.

The Zoom preamps should be adequate for now. As you gain experience, you may want to upgrade to better preamps.

could u explain more please? If i got the aky ck61 dont i need the body for them?

ok did some reading hope i am right here

capsule > active cables > preamp > recorder?

where do you buy active cables?

You're correct: capsules > active cables > preamp > recorder. With this setup, you don't need the microphone bodies as the XLR adapters and cable take the place of the body in a much smaller form factor (with no noticeable sound impairment).

Here's a picture of my setup:

https://imgur.com/a/ikvTdpx

On the right side are the AKG ck61 capsules, connected to the "nbob" active cables and the XLR phantom power adapters on the left side.

Here are the links for the cables:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=168809.0

And the XLR phantom power adapters:

https://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-power-adaptor/

Send a private message to user "schoepsnbox" and he will get you sorted out when you're ready.

The ck61 capsules should be able to be purchased here in the Yard Sale, if you post a wanted thread.

EDIT: Here's a picture of another possible setup that a few here use. It's capsules > active cables > "babynbox" > Sony PCM-A10. The babynbox powers the microphone capsules only - the recorder preamp is used instead of an outboard unit. It's not within your budget, but I thought I would show you the next level up. This setup can be applied to AKG, Schoeps, Gefell, etc. SD card included in the picture for scale.

https://imgur.com/a/a1aRy7h
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:31:48 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:38 AM »
Being in China you might want to check out the B9Audio mics.

Until further notice from Peking, B9Audio are still in Taiwan. ;-)

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
with that budget, for 100% open taping, I'd pick up a pair of used Busmans and a Shure FP24 or MP-2. all the patterns, great mic, great pre. And a few bucks left over for cables. This rig punches way above its price. 90% Schoeps for a fraction of the price.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »
Being in China you might want to check out the B9Audio mics.

Until further notice from Peking, B9Audio are still in Taiwan. ;-)

Ralf

Damn, I'm the ignorant American.  My apologies.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
The 4080s don't have anywhere near the same bass response as the 4060s, although noise and sensitivity are similar. [EDIT: They are a lot bigger, too.]

No, they certainly do not.  I just looked at the specs and see they are rated 20-20k, but -5 dB at 100 Hz.  These are probably only suitable for their intended purpose as a lav mic.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
I'd have to check again, but I believe the 4080 cardioids have a similar response to the 4098 supercards I use. When initially testing them at a couple amplified shows I determined 4098 can work acceptably if combined with EQ to boost the low end (recognizing that not everyone wants to do that) and that in an otherwise overly boomy/bassy venue with too much subwoofing the native response worked about right on its own.  It's smooth and EQ-able, but not a flat overall response, so may not be what or most folks are looking for as a taping pair. 

My intent all along was to use 4098s in combination with 4061 omnis, which is a combination I'm very pleased with that provides a well balanced overall response. 

I employ 4060 omnis for classical recording and have not used the 4098 for that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »
I'd have to check again, but I believe the 4080 cardioids have a similar response to the 4098 supercards I use. When initially testing them at a couple amplified shows I determined 4098 can work acceptably if combined with EQ to boost the low end (recognizing that not everyone wants to do that) and that in an otherwise overly boomy/bassy venue with too much subwoofing the native response worked about right on its own.  It's smooth and EQ-able, but not a flat overall response, so may not be what or most folks are looking for as a taping pair. 

My intent all along was to use 4098s in combination with 4061 omnis, which is a combination I'm very pleased with that provides a well balanced overall response. 

I employ 4060 omnis for classical recording and have not used the 4098 for that.

My MO, recording 4-channel with 4060s paired with 4081s and low-passing the 4060s in post, addresses this.  But it's not a low budget rig!  Great on opera, if we ever have that again (Met just cancelled the whole damn season).

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »
Get a stereo pair Beyerdynamic MC930.Can come as low as $800 new price.  Matched pair.  Look on Ebay or competitive retailer.

Always sound great, excellent for what we do;
Also, someone selling AKG shotgun pair with shockmounts, $500 in the yardsale.
Lots of options now.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »
I 2nd the MC930's still running mine and cant justify the next jump in price to the next level of mics because they sound so good. Here are some links to what i recorded.

Thank you

Steve

https://archive.org/details/jm2010-08-07.beyermc-930.naiant.flac16
https://archive.org/details/JohnMayer2013-08-16.beyer.mc930.naiant.flac16
https://archive.org/details/VanessaCarlton2015-12-08.flac24
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com