Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope De-Wind module  (Read 2127 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
iZotope De-Wind module
« on: June 18, 2023, 05:40:09 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using this and either working around or reconstructing the low end?  It removes the wind rumbles but strips the low end along with it.  I finally gave up and am just applying it lightly to dialog in between tracks
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: iZotope De-Wind module
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 11:11:31 PM »
EspeciallyI'm curious about this too, especially because I was at a windy outdoor show yesterday.

I used wind removal on a different program before, but it was basically just a high pass filter, and if I set it high enough to get rid of all the wind it got rid of most of the bass as well.
If anyone knows the best program or settings to use, please let us know.

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »
Have you tried this in Adobe Audition? It worked well for me.

Effects > Filter & EQ > FFT Filter > Kill The Mic Rumble
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
In Izotope RX, you can see the wind rumble in the spectrogram at the very bottom of the display. You can paint over it with the paintbrush tool and select attenuate in Spectral Repair. You may not get it gone completely but by reducing it substantially, listening back is more pleasurable. You can also do this with some crowd noise that is overpowering the music.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 03:21:58 PM »
I've not used any DeWind tools myself, but most wind noise reduction has historically consisted of chopping off low frequency content with a highpass, which is the range most affected by wind. The Audition FFT tool is a form of EQ filter, with the "Kill The Mic Rumble" setting likely acting as a high-pass filter. If really bad such that it includes higher frequency wind noise as well, low cut filtering may not be enough. 

Spectral Editing is most likely to preserve low bass, and potentially work better when there are higher frequency components to the wind noise, albeit at the cost of having to manually apply it wherever needed.

If you can sufficiently rid it of rumble with a low enough high pass filter to get something clean but bass weak, you might then try applying a bass manipulation plugin which generates subharmonics based on the remaining higher frequency bass content.   Some of those are intended to do the opposite in creating bass harmonics above the fundamental to make the bass more easily audible on tiny speakers, yet may feature a preset that does the opposite, generating sub harmonics rather than upper harmonics.  Not sure if this will work and may be fidgety to get set right, but perhaps worth a try.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 03:31:05 PM »
In Izotope RX, you can see the wind rumble in the spectrogram at the very bottom of the display. You can paint over it with the paintbrush tool and select attenuate in Spectral Repair. You may not get it gone completely but by reducing it substantially, listening back is more pleasurable. You can also do this with some crowd noise that is overpowering the music.

This is completely unnecessary since something like RX 6 or RX 7. They have a De-Wind module that does it for you.  You pretty much just set the top of the affected frequency and determine the amount of reduction you want.  The challenge is that it really just acts like a "smart high pass filter" and I don't want to strip the entire low end of the spectrum.  Has anyone tried using RX to reconstruct or extrapolate corrected bass response after something that acts like a high-pass filter?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 04:29:10 PM »

This is completely unnecessary since something like RX 6 or RX 7. They have a De-Wind module that does it for you.  You pretty much just set the top of the affected frequency and determine the amount of reduction you want.  The challenge is that it really just acts like a "smart high pass filter" and I don't want to strip the entire low end of the spectrum.  Has anyone tried using RX to reconstruct or extrapolate corrected bass response after something that acts like a high-pass filter?

You might be able to train the "sound remover" module in Adobe Audition on the wind work. Keep the FFT high. I use that for click tracks on IEM recordings, it's a semi-intelligent noise reduction.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:19 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using this and either working around or reconstructing the low end?  It removes the wind rumbles but strips the low end along with it.  I finally gave up and am just applying it lightly to dialog in between tracks

The standard versions of RX (which I have) do not include the De-Wind module so I can't speak to that. But aside from one of my previous posts in this thread, you piqued my curiosity and I started some searches elsewhere. In a discussion of the De-Wind module on Reddit, one poster said he doesn't use the De-Wind module because it takes out too much of the music spectrum in that frequency range.

Instead, he suggested using the Spectral De-Noise module and highlight the wind in the spectrogram view and click "Learn". Then apply it to the recording. He indicated it may take a time or two to get it right. I haven't tried it but perhaps this might help.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com