Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balanced cable question  (Read 4593 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Balanced cable question
« on: December 05, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
I'm looking at using the balanced outputs on my universal disc player to the balanced inputs on my integrated amp. Currently I only have a nice pair of XLR to RCA cables available to use. Could I use an RCA to XLR adapter for the amp end and end up with a balanced signal or would it be better to buy another fully balanced XLR cable pair? Thanks.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Balanced cable question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 12:17:04 PM »
The RCA>XLR adapter will work, but it will still be an unbalanced signal due to the way an XLR>RCA cable is wired.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:26:46 PM »
Tony I noticed no one else answering. I would guess your XLR-> RCA adapters have ground cut off at the RCA ends. (open them up to check if they are not sealed) that is the method they use to create unbalanced from balanced.
so you will want a set of XLR's to use your balanced inputs on the player.

There are probably commercial cables which exist which are 3 pin XLR to 3 wire TRS 1/4 inch, but not RCA.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »
Using adapters or adapter cables you'll still be making an unbalanced connection, essentially the same as using unbalanced RCA connections at both ends to begin with.. so if RCAs are available on both components I'd just use a standard RCA stereo cable to connect them.  The best best for using the balanced XLR connections at both ends is a pair of balanced XLR terminated interconnects.  A spar pair of mic cables will work in the interim.  Do that instead of trying to force-adapt balanced to unbalanced, which is best left as an option of last resort when you have a balanced connection on one side and unbalanced one on the other.

The strategies for achieving that differ, but generally the negative signal wire (XLR pin 3 / TRS Ring) is left unconnected, not tied to shield (XLR pin 3 / TRS Sleeve). But for transformer balanced stuff that doesn't work.  See https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/more-cable-wiring-balanced-unbalanced/
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:28:50 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess I kinda new that, but read online, I think audiogon, that the adapter magically transforms the cable back to balanced and the more you spend on the adapter, as in the Cardas one (very expensive), the better the sound will be.  :facepalm:

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »
 Better grounding, not sure about sound.  Balanced deff better for longer amp runs
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »
if it's over 10 feet (3 meters) then just buy some XLR cables, otherwise RCA is fine
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com