Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargeable batteries  (Read 4098 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Rechargeable batteries
« on: June 01, 2022, 01:30:51 PM »
Any reason why rechargeable AA's would all of a sudden stop working in a device that they used to work flawlessly in? Alkaline's still work. No menu on this device so no way to select battery type. It's a self powered monitor that also can run on AA's.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Rechargeable batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
Do you know the age of them? I have had some refuse to work after 8-10 years. My charger will give me some rudimentary health signs, but I did have a 9V that died suddenly (after a long period of storage).

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 02:19:03 PM »
Only a couple years old. Panasonic Eneloop and I have many. Also tested every one of them. They all have a full charge and work fine in other devices.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 02:43:58 PM »
In that case, focus on the device. Are the device's battery contacts pushed down and/or weakened? I have brought back a few devices with intermittent power by gently bending the contacts outward toward the battery such that the battery can barely move once inserted.

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
Everything is as new. Plus alkalines and lithiums work. Just/doesn't like rechargeables anymore.  The monitor takes 8 AA's.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 04:57:01 PM »
Could the rechargeables degraded to not put out enough power to keep the device happy? Measure the voltage on the suspect batteries.

Replacing with a "known good" set (aka new) might also be a good next step.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 07:08:22 PM »
Could the rechargeables degraded to not put out enough power to keep the device happy? Measure the voltage on the suspect batteries.

Replacing with a "known good" set (aka new) might also be a good next step.

That's what I thought. I tried 4 sets of rechargeables at 8 batts per set and none would fire this up. All batts are relatively new. On the flip side I can throw in random alkalines and it fires right up.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:45 PM »
As far as I know, rechargeables are approx. 1.25V whereas alkalines are 1.5V (to start). Most devices are fine at 1.25V but apparently not your batteries are starting out a little less and your device does not like lesser voltage (is my guess.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 09:42:00 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 08:23:26 AM »
As far as I know, rechargeables are approx. 1.25V whereas alkalines are 1.5V (to start). Most devices are fine at 1.25V but apparently not your batteries are starting out a little less and your device does not like lesser voltage (is my guess.)

Yea that's the only logical explanation. It liked them for awhile though and that makes no sense. I see that Lithium AA rechargeables put out 1.5 volts. 8 with charger costs about the same as 8 Eneloops.

I wonder if something failed internally that allows the monitor to operate on a lower voltage.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:02:43 AM by ts »

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 10:48:33 AM »
Rather than mess around with buying more Eneloops (I have 20 already) I picked up some Tenovolt 1.5V rechargeable Lithiums. Problem solved! I guess my device frowns on less than 1.25 volts per battery and I probably have a few Eneloops that have dropped below that even when showing fully charged.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com