Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure big ass wind screens  (Read 8271 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shure big ass wind screens
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »
If you are looking for a replacement, these block as much or more wind noise as the Shure / DPA style huge foamies without the HF roll-off.

https://www.adorama.com/mvwst50.html
I used those like 3 times and went back to BAS's. They didnt seem to do much of anything in a light breeze. Just my experience.

I'm kind of shocked to hear that, given that I have used them in 40 mph wind gusts with my CM3s multiple times. I wonder if you had a bad fit?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »
Could be fit, or might just be the microphone's greater susceptibility to wind noise.

As for fit- I posted recently about how minor "leaks" at the elastic cuff area of the BAS can result in major wind problems that these windscreens would otherwise be completely capable of handling, and did fully handle once I took measures to correct the problem, working it out in a windy parking lot monitoring through headphones.

On the other front- CM3 is over toward the subcardioid side of cardioid, which places it closer to the omni end of the pattern spectrum and less susceptible to wind and handling noise.  If the microphones that jcable77 was using were closer to the fig-8 side of things than the omni side, perhaps supercard/hypercarioids, they would naturally be more susceptible to wind even if the windscreen fit was correct.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 04:24:08 PM »
If you are looking for a replacement, these block as much or more wind noise as the Shure / DPA style huge foamies without the HF roll-off.

I used those like 3 times and went back to BAS's. They didnt seem to do much of anything in a light breeze. Just my experience.

I'm kind of shocked to hear that, given that I have used them in 40 mph wind gusts with my CM3s multiple times. I wonder if you had a bad fit?
Im not sure? I thought they were pretty snug. It was a few years ago so my memory could be off a bit. It was at a festival with ck61's with actives. Maybe I didnt push them on as far as I needed? First 2 evenings there was barely any wind at all and wind noise was light but evident. Third night it was definitely breezy and I remember getting home, checking out the files and being somewhat pissed that the third night was completely toast. I ended up putting em up on YS the next day. It could have possibly been the fit with the actives.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 06:28:16 PM »
I dont have these screens but  i would imagine you might be able to close any gaps at the opening with some carefully placed gaff tape.. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 06:49:14 PM »
^That may work fine for the Movo with the big rubber cuff to stick the tape to. 

But it doesn't work well for BAS.  I tried several months back. First, the tape adhesive tears up the foam. Secondly, it doesn't really work well anyway, even if you don't care about tearing up the foam. The tape doesn't stick well, and any folds or imperfections allows wind to sneak between the tape and foam.  After struggling with gaff tape, I got good results from warping a piece of fake fur around the back of the BAS windscreen, carefully so that it completely covers the black elastic foam part with a snug fit all the way around, then fastening that in place with a couple small binder clips.  That fixed the wind leakage from the back without covering the entire foam windscreen in a fr cover.

Details and photos here- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191953.msg2373433#msg2373433
There are 5 BAS in in use there, four with the partial fur covers on the back, the fifth housing the center mic pair inside one BAS over which I put a Rycote Windjammer intended for their BBG that covered the entire BAS, secured with its integrated draw-string closure in back.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »

^
As others have mentioned, there must have been a bad fit there, or a defect.  I've used these screens in windy conditions numerous times and they were effective with no resulting wind damage.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »
Yes. Just pulled out various mics over the last couple of weeks that haven't been used for the last 3 years. All windshilds disintegrating on touch.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2022, 12:03:22 PM »
Yeah, I pulled out my Olympus LS-10 last night to charge the Eneloops and the foam windscreens are now disintegrating and useless. I don't think they make replacements, they use a plastic clip inside the foam. The alternative looks like a Rycote furry wig.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2022, 12:15:05 PM »
Are people using the Movo WST50 for ‘active’ style mikes?
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »
Yes. They fit both my MK41 and mbho ka300 actives perfectly
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2022, 12:56:15 PM »
Yes. They fit both my MK41 and mbho ka300 actives perfectly

Seconded, they work perfectly on Schoeps and AKG nbobs in my experience
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »
Awesome..  thanks fellas!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »
How deep is the well into which the microphone fits in the WST50?
Should I assume the "50" equates to 50mm deep?
Is there much internal depth to the rubber cuff that grabs onto the mic body?  If so what is the actual usable unblocked open space depth inside the windscreen, between the furthest forward edge of the cuff and the "bottom of the well" inside the windscreen?

Thinking I may need the 60 or 70 rather than the 50.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 05:00:28 PM »
How deep is the well into which the microphone fits in the WST50?
Should I assume the "50" equates to 50mm deep?
Is there much internal depth to the rubber cuff that grabs onto the mic body?  If so what is the actual usable unblocked open space depth inside the windscreen, between the furthest forward edge of the cuff and the "bottom of the well" inside the windscreen?

Thinking I may need the 60 or 70 rather than the 50.

I just measured mine with my digital calipers, and get about 55 mm from the "furthest forward edge" as you put it to the bottom-out point. I can poke my pinky finger just about all the way in. In practice, I leave a couple cm airspace from the end of the capsule as I imagine most people do, so 50 mm is probably Movo's nominal measurement of effective depth.

The rubber cuff ring is recessed maybe 1 cm where it meets the mic compared to the outer part, and I did not add that to the above measurement.

What mics are you potentially using these with?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 07:00:15 PM »
DPA 4098H supercardioids.  Essentially looks like a 4060/4061 omni body, but with two tiny vents on the back, plus a tiny interference tube grid about 4cm long extending out front.  An integral short goose neck extends out the back. The mic is a bit smaller in diameter than a pencil.  As supercards they are rather wind and handling-noise sensitive.  They are quite small and light, but require just as much wind protection outdoors as larger mics. 

The irony not lost on you or other experienced tapers is that small and inexpensive mics (granted these are tiny yet not inexpensive) require just as much wind and vibration isolation as larger more costly mics.

To use BAS with these I first insert each mic into an dollar store open-cell foam hair-curler spindle measuring about 24mm in diameter X 57mm or so long that has a bore through the center perfectly sized for inserting the mic.  That serves as an acoustically transparent sizing adapter to bring teh microphone up to more "standard" mic dimensions so that it fits perfectly into a BAS. 

I plan to do the same with the Movos, except close off the rear entry behind hair-curler foam somehow to seal wind entry from the back, and will likely need to also use whatever structure does that to physically support the Movo cuff in two of the five total microphone positions in which I intend to use them.  Two other positions will have the Movo supported directly by the mic bar (a thin TV antenna) piercing though the Movo at an angle (which is how I currently support the BAS in those positions). 

The last position is a Naiant X-8 fig-8 + a 4098H gaff taped atop it to from a Mid/Side pair.  That pair fits directly into a BAS.  I plan to also use a Movo there, which won't need the hair curler foam as the X-8 body is an XLR connector, but will likely need to be longer.  Need to measure it.  Trick with this pair will be if the X-8 mic head can be fitted through the Movo cuff.  It fits through the BAS cuff with some stretching, photo of it here- 

X-8

First image below is the DPA 4098H (shows the included thin DPA windscreen which is useless).
Following images show the hair curler foam insert fitting into a Windtech windscreen suitable for indoor use of the 4098.  Works exactly the same with the larger BAS for outdoor use, except the BAS needs additional support as the integral gooseneck on the 4098 is not strong enough to support the added weight.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:03:23 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com