Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Neumann cap repair

(1/2) > >>

ts:
Anyone have any recent experiences with this cost wise? They won't give me any estimates over the phone. It's a AK 50 cap that needs mechanical and cosmetic repair. Thanks.

rigpimp:

--- Quote from: ts on July 27, 2022, 10:28:24 AM ---Anyone have any recent experiences with this cost wise? They won't give me any estimates over the phone. It's a AK 50 cap that needs mechanical and cosmetic repair. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I never sent in my AK40s or AK20 but if they are anything like Schoeps they won't quote repairs sight unseen because they don't want to be held accountable for underquoting a repair. 

I really dislike it and would at least prefer a repair cost "range" so I don't pass out when I see an invoice but I think that you have to go in thinking it can't cost more than the price of a new cap and hope for less.  Range = Cost of shipping to Retail price

I had a CCM4 hit a wood floor HARD when a lady kicked my stand over at a cello concert.  It cost me a couple of months without a mic and $900 to repair.  I literally had to sit down for a bit after opening that invoice.

Also, I was told by Germany that if the cosmetics do not affect the sonics they won't rehouse the guts because of aesthetic blemishes/dings/dents.

Good luck!

fanofjam:

--- Quote from: rigpimp on August 24, 2022, 04:36:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: ts on July 27, 2022, 10:28:24 AM ---Anyone have any recent experiences with this cost wise? They won't give me any estimates over the phone. It's a AK 50 cap that needs mechanical and cosmetic repair. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Also, I was told by Germany that if the cosmetics do not affect the sonics they won't rehouse the guts because of aesthetic blemishes/dings/dents.

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Howdy rigpimp, fwiw I once sent a really ratty ass nickel capsule to schoeps for work and checkup/refurb.  I specifically mentioned that I’d pay for a new shell if that was available and they did it.  I remember paying like $175 or $200 all included.  I can’t remember what I needed to have done but the capsule came back with a new nickel shell and the base plate was swapped from the hand etched model/serial number to the silk screen printed model/SN.  This was like ten years ago though, so based on your post this might not offered anymore.  Might be worth asking if new shells are available for a price though, especially if the capsule is really beat to hell.

rigpimp:

--- Quote from: fanofjam on August 26, 2022, 12:32:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: rigpimp on August 24, 2022, 04:36:17 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

This is good to know and definitely worth asking Neumann.  I asked and Schoeps said NO to the new CCM shell back in 2013 for me.  Honestly, for my cost of repairs, I figure that one should have been included.
Howdy rigpimp, fwiw I once sent a really ratty ass nickel capsule to schoeps for work and checkup/refurb.  I specifically mentioned that I’d pay for a new shell if that was available and they did it.  I remember paying like $175 or $200 all included.  I can’t remember what I needed to have done but the capsule came back with a new nickel shell and the base plate was swapped from the hand etched model/serial number to the silk screen printed model/SN.  This was like ten years ago though, so based on your post this might not offered anymore.  Might be worth asking if new shells are available for a price though.

--- End quote ---

H₂O:
I don't think Schoeps will repair anything older than 10 years any more.  They changed their Service approach and right before the change offered huge discounts to send in old gear to be exchanged for new gear.

To note they may not repair discontinued items either - i.e. KCY, VMS, etc

Again not totally sure on this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version