Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What stand do you bring going to a venue you know nothing about  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I am finding myself heading to a few venues that no one has ever taped at before. When this happens I always worry about what stand to bring. Do I bring a big tripod or a clamp with a 099B pole, the pole of course is much more convenient for everyone not just the person taping.

What I am wondering, when this is the case what do you all bring? I've been eye balling a manfrotto 003 base for the extension pole so I'm always prepared but I highly doubt the ability of that to hold a 8ft pole. Would you bring a tripod and a pole with a clamp, bring only one, or something else?

I historical have brought a tripod but in the area where I am, stands are like foot magnets! Clamping to a rail when available is always the way when possible.

Thanks
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: What stand do you bring going to a venue you know nothing about
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »
I use that exact setup (099b and 003) 80% of the time. Very versatile and super small footprint and with a super clamp you’re set for most clamping situations. I’ve ran two pairs of actives and another guy’s rig with four pairs of mics on this pole with no issues once it was strapped to a soundboard cage with bungie cords.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:15:32 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:51:31 AM »
I use that exact setup (099b and 003) 80% of the time. Very versatile and super small footprint and with a super clamp you’re set for most clamping situations. I’ve ran two pairs of actives and another guy’s rig with four pairs of mics on this pole with no issues once it was strapped to a soundboard cage with bungie cords.

Does that 003 really hold the stand up okay all by itself?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 03:26:48 PM »
I run that setup a couple of times, but I connected two poles. This was running 7 channels (5 SDCs). Just throw a sandbag or some ankle weights on the legs.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:05 PM »

Yes, it’s more wobbly than a normal stand but if you tape the legs down there’s no chance of it toppling over. I definitely wouldn’t use it for video.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 07:31:39 AM »

Yes, it’s more wobbly than a normal stand but if you tape the legs down there’s no chance of it toppling over. I definitely wouldn’t use it for video.

I usually use this set up and this little min-magic arm and a super clamp off the middle of the 099 and clamp to something for stability. In a situation where you dont know exactly what you're going to need its worked really well, and doesnt take up alot of space in the bag.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143851974637?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iphoy7cmr-k&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline Nico11104

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My records on the Live Music Archive
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
I am finding myself heading to a few venues that no one has ever taped at before. When this happens I always worry about what stand to bring. Do I bring a big tripod or a clamp with a 099B pole, the pole of course is much more convenient for everyone not just the person taping.

What I am wondering, when this is the case what do you all bring? I've been eye balling a manfrotto 003 base for the extension pole so I'm always prepared but I highly doubt the ability of that to hold a 8ft pole. Would you bring a tripod and a pole with a clamp, bring only one, or something else?

I historical have brought a tripod but in the area where I am, stands are like foot magnets! Clamping to a rail when available is always the way when possible.

Thanks

If I'm unsure of whether there's a rail available for clamping, I like to bring a stand (or rather a combination of a stand plus extension arm) that will provide the greatest height with smallest footprint.

I use a Neewer W802 stand which has a max height of 40" along with my Matthews Telescopic Baby Stand Extension.  Together, they provide 7.3' or 88" of height.  This with a tidy 13.5" footprint.  The stand and extension arm each fold down to 16" length.  I can't find this particular stand available for sale anywhere now so I assume that it's discontinued.  However, it looks like the Impact LS-4K Micro Kit Stand https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917843-REG/impact_ls_k4_micro_kit_stand.html may provide and even greater height to footprint ratio as it is advertised as having a max height of 48", while sharing the same 13.5" footprint.  Along with the Baby Stand Extension, that will get you up to a full 8' at much smaller footprint than a traditional stand.  The tradeoff is that it won't be as stable as a full size stand but you can still tape the legs down to the floor if it might get bumped.

You can also invest <$15 in a padded tripod stand like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311698-REG/ruggard_bp_2022_2_padded_tripod_stand.html.  Both the stand and extension arm will fit and slung over your shoulder it's way more discreet that trying to carry in a full size stand.  Carrying on a plane is easier too.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 04:02:23 PM »

I have also been using this set-up lately, with a 122B for some extra height, and it works pretty well. Especially in tight quarters or if I am unsure if I need a stand or a clamp rig. I second your suggestion to tape down the legs.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 11:47:43 PM »
I bring everything. Not a fan of doing that though.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
I bring me and use my head.   8)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 08:20:18 PM »
This thread led me down the rabbit hole and I ended up buying the Manfrotto 003M, smaller than the 003.
https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/mini-backlite-stand-male-attachment-003m/

I also bought a 12" baby riser
https://thegripstore.com/products/4-baby-stand-extension.

Along with my Matthews extension pole, this brings the top of the stand to my chin.  Interested to see if this is a good tape-from-your-seats set-up.

The 003M has a 5/8 threaded hole on the longest foot.  I drilled and tapped ones on the other two feet today.  Bolts or a threaded, padded foot through one (or two or all) of these holes will help to level this stand.  The extension poles will not be vertically plum with this stand out of the box.

Seems pretty portable.  With gaff, I bet this is a good low option; we will see.  Base can fold and arguably fit in my bag along with the 12" riser (maybe).  If this works at a local show in the coming month, I will send nudes.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 09:48:29 AM »

I usually use this set up and this little min-magic arm and a super clamp off the middle of the 099 and clamp to something for stability. In a situation where you dont know exactly what you're going to need its worked really well, and doesnt take up alot of space in the bag.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143851974637?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iphoy7cmr-k&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I often bring a couple giant twist ties that have proven very useful in stabilizing a stand in this way.  Wrap it around the stand and extend over to wrap the other end around an adjacent railing, pole or whatever. They are flexible enough to bend into whatever shape, yet have enough rigidity to stabilize somewhat by way of more than simply tension. One is usually enough but two can be used to triangulate the connection for increased stability. Has also come in handy when on sloped ground adjacent to a railing (at sound board or up front at front railing) to tip the stand up to vertical with one leg off the ground.  I'm usually using them to secure less stable small-footprint stands, but have also done the same with my large footprint 15' stand to keep it form toppling it in windy conditions. 

I just lost the last one I had this past spring and need to order more.  The link below looks very similar, except the one's I've had for more than a decade had removable end caps that could be screwed off and the ties connected together to form longer lengths. Didn't actually use that feature often though.  If the one's linked don't do that you can simple twist two together if necessary.  These are definitely accessories to some other primary support method, but are light weight and easy to stow. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BFT3S8Y/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A39FS879TA5JMP&th=1
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com