Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cloud Storage Options - August 2022  (Read 8028 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Cloud Storage Options - August 2022
« on: August 28, 2022, 03:07:06 PM »
Cloud storage options - I am embarking on a project to organize my files. They currently reside on many external/bare drives, duplicate copies, etc., but I never know where a particular show is. Rather than have this stuff on external drives, it makes sense for me to organize them to the cloud. I've heard that Google has an unlimited option that can be shared with 5 others, but I can never seem to find that option - all I ever find is 2 TB option. I think the other option is hightail which is very clear on how to get the unlimited option for $12 month (billed annually.) I know a bunch of folks use both, but looking to understand the Google option that folks are using.

I also checked out Backblaze but that seems to be more of a backup option. Backup of the files is one feature, but sharing is another and they cap daily transfer at 1 GB and that is about 1 download of a 24 bit show.

Google One - not sure they still have the unlimited option, shared or otherwise (unless it is an Enterprise account which is going to be spendy)
Hightail - $12/mo. (billed annually), unlimited storage, 25 GB individual file size limit (might impact some, but not me)
Backblaze Personal - $7/mo. unlimited storage but file sharing is capped pretty low.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: Cloud Storage Options - August 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »
This doesn't really answer your question, but it is related.

After struggling with Backblaze for the last few years, I went with a Synology NAS (network attached storage).  It has four 16TB hard drives in it and can safely backup 41TBs and still survive with all data intact, even if one of the hard drives crashes.  The problem with Backblaze is that the drives you've backed up have to be connected to the computer.  I had ten or so drives connected and it was getting kind of hard to manage.

I still separately backup everything to an HD, but now I don't worry about always having to keep the backup HDs connected to my computer like I did with Backblaze.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 03:57:46 PM »
Yes, at the moment, I'm not interested in an on-site hardware solution. I'm happy to just have a laptop that I turn on when I need it. I used to run servers and RAID and am capable of it, but simply have zero desire.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 06:02:02 PM »
I don't know if it meets your particular requirements, but I have been happy with IDrive. Well reviewed, good encryption, multiple devices. More expensive than some options and cheaper than others...

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 06:17:00 PM »
I don't know if it meets your particular requirements, but I have been happy with IDrive. Well reviewed, good encryption, multiple devices. More expensive than some options and cheaper than others...

I heard that they cap file links when you share them to 2 GB. That really isn't very workable.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 06:25:16 PM »
I use Hightail and generally happy with it

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 06:30:15 PM »

I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Can you link to a folder or just a file?

Link to LMA Recordings

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 07:18:35 PM »
I heard that they cap file links when you share them to 2 GB. That really isn't very workable.

I am not sure that's true; I just shared a 2.4 GB file and downloaded it successfully via the share link. There is, however, a major limitation, which is a maximum of 25 shares. Whether or not that matters depends on your usage, of course.

I know I have downloaded a lot of files via Hightail and it worked well. I have no idea what, if any, limitations that system entails on the other side, though.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »
I followed the Google "Enterprise" signup process (the only unlimited option) and ended up at $30 per user per month. Just an FYI for those looking at options.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 08:57:25 PM »
I have been very happy with MEGA. You get a very generous 20 GB included with the free plan, and the paid tiers quickly scale up to mammoth amounts of storage if you need it, as much as 16 terabytes for the $30/mo plan.

The other big benefit with MEGA is end-to-end encryption (meaning your data is encrypted in transit and is still secure if intercepted) in addition to at-rest encryption (encrypted once it hits the provider's servers). Most cloud storage providers offering "encryption" are only using the second type.

Here are other cloud storage providers offering E2EE:
https://www.privacytools.io/#cloud
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »
I have been very happy with MEGA. You get a very generous 20 GB included with the free plan, and the paid tiers quickly scale up to mammoth amounts of storage if you need it, as much as 16 terabytes for the $30/mo plan.

The other big benefit with MEGA is end-to-end encryption (meaning your data is encrypted in transit and is still secure if intercepted) in addition to at-rest encryption (encrypted once it hits the provider's servers). Most cloud storage providers offering "encryption" are only using the second type.

Here are other cloud storage providers offering E2EE:
https://www.privacytools.io/#cloud

I have a free plan with 50 GB but some folks struggle with downloading, partly because I think Mega prompts you to install an app. A little slow sometimes to upload/download, but otherwise good.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »

I think so.  I typically zip a folder on upload as part of my workstream so I would need to confirm.

As far as Mega goes downloads are throttled unless you are a paying member for the links I have gotten.  Not a fan of that.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 06:15:19 PM »
I use Google One at the moment. But only a 2TB account. I only use it to sync some folders that I use interchangeably between my desktop and laptop. IE - show edits and my website. If I make an edit on one, I can immediately swap to the other computer. I am generally happy with the speeds and being able to only share things with certain people. Drawback, I believe they need to have a google account to have access like that. I see that they have a 20TB option billed monthly at $99. Pretty steep.

I still feel that a NAS is the best solution, as cloud storage of massive amounts is still just out of my price range to do fully. Plus, I like to have physical backups because you never know when it will go kaput. I also backup my Google Drive directory to my NAS.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 07:26:03 PM »
My NAS OS (TrueNAS) has auto cloud credentials and backup sync tasks uilt in for all of the big players.

I tested it out, and due to its simplicity, I hopped on the Google workspace wagon when it was about $30/month.  The challenge was that once I was up into the 30tb-40tb region the bill spiked to $200+/month.  I caught it pretty quick and just deleted the entire backup.

Ironically, I priced out Backblaze B2 and AWS S3 pricing just yesterday and keeping a copy in the cloud is simply cost prohibitive at this point.  I have my 112TB NAS,  64TB backup, and miscellaneous hard drive.  Unfortunately, most live here on site and I do need to get the Misc. externals to family over it the SF Bay.

Good luck to those that have very large data sets.

EDIT: If you are purely looking for a service to SHARE then Google, Hightail, PCloud, etc. seem to make the most sense.  This type of service is sort of a hybrid and is not primarily meant for long-term storage like Backblaze B2 or AWS Glacier.  For $50 per month you can sock away 10TB on B2 but I cannot say how easy it is to link/retrieve.  Keep in mind that STORAGE solutions will charge you a 2nd time for each time it is accessed and pulled back down.  Google Workspace was really simple to set up the backups but the permissions to allow access were not user-friendly whatsoever!  Google Drive or Google One are probably meant more for the consumer.

I use Plex for media management and can use that as a sharing option.  From the GUI I can simply click on an item and authorize access but I primarily use Dropbox Pro since more folks know Dropbox than Plex.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:13:39 PM by rigpimp »
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 08:20:12 PM »

I think so.  I typically zip a folder on upload as part of my workstream so I would need to confirm.

Signed up for the 2GB free account and I can get a link to a "space" and then download all the files via a single click.
Zipping might work better, but was trying to eliminate that step in my workflow. Might be better than creating spaces for every individual upload.

Link to LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com