Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax sx-m2d2 vs Grace Designs v2 > 744T  (Read 324 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
Sonosax sx-m2d2 vs Grace Designs v2 > 744T
« on: September 23, 2022, 06:40:59 AM »
I picked up the m2d2 at the end of 2021 and have run my two rigs side by side (4023 and 4028) since.  I generally ran 4028s (NOS) > v2 and 4023s (DINa) > m2d2 and almost always I preferred the 4028s, but I was never sure if it was the wide cards or the preamp that I liked.  If I flipped and ran 4028s > m2d2 vs 4023s > v2, I preferred the 4028s for that tape.  I taped DMB at Shoreline last week, which is hell for stands and decided to run just one set of mics.  Of course, I was forced to run the stand at shoulder height.  I split the XLR from my 4028s, providing phantom from the v2.  I was setup in section 103, row B, seat 15 - on the front aisle, so this is essentially a shoulder height stack tape.

I grabbed a few tracks where I thought the difference was most noticeable and renamed the tracks/ marked them as A vs B.  There's a text file in the Drive folder with the answer key.  Track by track they are named A and B, I did a coin flip to name each track.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UeSVKkxH8Qv8Y3GoBv1x3Q8O1men6EjU?usp=sharing

If you're interested in the entire set (yes, there are MP3s in here because people that I send it to after a show want to put it on their phones anyway):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Kd5rxUjAiXEmHwMKiVA7fw841qHLTjE5?usp=sharing

The Drive link will probably be active for a few months, but at some point I'll remove the folder, so if you come across this much later than now, feel free to PM me and I can re-share it.  I'm interested in what other people think too. Enjoy!
dpa4028/4023 > v2/sx-m2d2 > 744

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "and the rowers keep on rowing!"
Re: Sonosax sx-m2d2 vs Grace Designs v2 > 744T
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
Thanks for this.  Posting to mark thread for easy return later.. will give a listen when I have an opportunity, hopefully next week.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Sonosax sx-m2d2 vs Grace Designs v2 > 744T
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »
I think we ran one V3 vs SXM2D2 comparison when kindms bought his Sonosax SXM2D2. Otherwise, he has shifted completely to using the Sax. He feels the pre-amps are "better", I am of a similar mindset, however, SOMEthing in the 100 Hz and below seems more prone to pick up PA anomalies. I am interested in your comps, should check them out, will let you know my opinion.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2022 Taperssection.com