Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Omnis vs. Cards in small (150 capacity) room?

(1/5) > >>

melontracks:
Taping a show in a small room tonight. I'll be able to position myself anywhere in the room I please, seated. Normally, I'd use my CA-14 Church Audio ST-11 mics with the card caps in this situation, but have lately been experimenting with the omni caps with mixed results, and I'm not sure why I'm getting good and bad results. Maybe distance from the source?

The music is "Americana" and I believe the act will be just the songwriter/multi-instrumentalist (no band). The FOH guy at the venue is great and attentive, so the sound will be good throughout the performance and throughout the room.

If you were me, where would you sit, and which caps would you use? Have meant to ask for feedback on this for a long time, but it's just now occurring to me, since I'm really just now dusting off the gear after a couple-year hiatus that I feel I'm not alone in having taken...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

jb63:
OMNIs : as close to front and enter as possible. And don't overload it. I'd go for sound right from the performer to my mics.

YMMV

melontracks:

--- Quote from: jb63 on September 23, 2022, 04:32:25 PM ---OMNIs : as close to front and enter as possible. And don't overload it. I'd go for sound right from the performer to my mics.

YMMV

--- End quote ---

That sounds like a plan, and easy! I was thinking if I used omnis, I'd try to enlist my wife into helping out by holding one mic to get ~3ft spacing... Would it be worth it? And how critical is the accuracy of the spacing? Is phasing an issue if I get the spacing wrong? My default mic spacing for this approach is only about 4 inches, out of convenience.

DavidPuddy:
With omnis, if you have a "baffle" there are no issues with phasing

melontracks:

--- Quote from: DavidPuddy on September 23, 2022, 04:46:03 PM ---With omnis, if you have a "baffle" there are no issues with phasing

--- End quote ---

Thank you. My wife's purse is a pretty solid baffle. Should be good to go. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version