Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

TSKB: Rolling Gear Bag?

(1/4) > >>

Nak700:
So, after spending the better part of the past year and a half in Physical Therapy, Chiropractic, and Massage (And not the fun kind), I am ready to concede that, after 26 years of recording everything I go to, my back and shoulders can no longer withstand the abuse.

I'm highly resistant, though don't rule out completely, downsizing my rig. And I've emptied my current bag (A Lowepro D650 Stealth Reporter) several times to discard any unnecessary spare gear (mics, cables, recorders, batteries, etc.), which has provided some, but not enough, relief.

So, I think the next step is to find a bag / case with wheels, which I've only seen other Tapers use, perhaps, once or twice in the entire time that I've been recording.

If anybody has any advice, suggestions, recommendations, or information on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me tap the Taperssection Knowledge Base, friends!

grawk:
sachtler and portabrace both make wheeled cases, but they look challenging to work out of.  I know there are several wheeled laptop bags that could be repurposed for audio equipment. 

The other thing to consider is maybe downsizing to a phone or small recorder based rig, like the lectrosonics spdr, deity pr-2 if it ever comes out, sonosax sx-m2d2/dpa d:vice -> phone, etc combined with microdot based mics or any mics with the m2d2.

kindms:
RE: Wheeled bag

Id consider where you currently record if this is going to get you grief at the door.

jbell:
Might be a good idea to put together a light weight rig! Something like Mics> Baby Nbox> Sony pcm A10 or Mics> Zoom F3.  Something that can fit in a small fanny pack and easy to power. 

goodcooker:

I was late to adopt it but the SD Mixpre6 is pretty tiny and light if you need to run more than 2 channels. I fit it and all the stuff I need to run 2 mics and a SBD patch in a very small camera bag and even with 30 ft of XLR cables it comes in at a few pounds.

My 2 channel rig - MBHO actives/PFA > Tascam DR100 doesn't weigh much at all and honestly would fit in my jacket pockets.

You may have to adjust your thinking to adapt to your constraints.

I wouldn't try to show up at a gig with a bag on wheels. One of the local tapers who was in a similar situation as you used a wheeled bag for a while and got nothing but grief from venues.

I know this is telling you to do something other than what you came here to ask about but that's my thinking on the subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version