Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "super" stealth in harshest venue ever  (Read 2936 times)

Offline kevinekstrom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
"super" stealth in harshest venue ever
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »
Lilke no place any of you have ever been...

Interviewing great aunt Louise on her 100th birthday.  I've been trying to get info on microphones for an MP3 recorder and a nice kid at a musicshop suggested that your industry was closely aligned with what I'm trying to accomplish.

I need to get some recommendations on equipment for voice recordings.

Oral History Inerviews are typically conducted with older folks in the 70-90 year old range, and they HATE to talk into a recorder; and would leave the room if I pulled out a camcorder.  The mixing boards and pre-amps i've been looking at are just right out for these interviews.

I have an Archos Gmini 120 MP3 player.  While I think that it's great for getting rid of CD's and backing up data files, I'm not sure it's the right device for voice recording.  But it would be cool to go directly to a digital file instead of messing around with tape.  I'm not even sure if it has a mic in jack.  I bought a cheap mic from radio shack.  No go.  I bought a Sony ECM MS907 microphone because I was told to get a pre-amplified microphone and the salesman at Good Guys is an idiot.  The built in condernser mic is the best so far, but I can't stand all of the background noise that it picks up. (A/C, TV, wind chimes, cats.  - The goal is to make these people feel comfortable so they will talk, so I can't always get rid of the background noise.  Oh, and i just can't find a good source for Sodium Pentathol since Jimmy Carter started liberalizing black ops)

I think the Gmini will only record from a line level source.  Can anyone confirm this?  Archos doesn't have the balls to reply to my email.

Is there a setup that will allow me to have two mono lavs (one for me, one for the interviewee) go into a stereo jack?  Should I leave the Gmini out of interviews and look at another device?  Is there a small preamp that could go inline with the mic I have.

Offline kevinekstrom

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: "super" stealth in harshest venue ever
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:20:27 AM »
Oh, c'mon.  Somebody post.  Trust me, you're all experts to me.  I'm just looking for a simple setup, but want to do it right.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:44:05 AM »
I'm not sure about the line level source, but I would think a set of Giant Squids or some cheapo mics from Soundprofessionals would do the trick. You can buy 'em with clips and use 'em as lavs, though you might have to see if they have mics with separate cables (most of them don't have the wires separated, though I guess you might be able to pull them apart).

If you do need line level, one of the Sound Pros battery boxes would do the trick - $50 for that, maybe $50 or $75 for the cheapest mics, voila...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:18:22 AM »
there are tons of mini mics out there, any of them would be fine for voice recording.

As for a recorder, professional Analog and DAT recorders could work.

HD recorders are good too.  The JB3 is always a fine choice.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:15:32 AM »
Lilke no place any of you have ever been...

Interviewing great aunt Louise on her 100th birthday.  I've been trying to get info on microphones for an MP3 recorder and a nice kid at a musicshop suggested that your industry was closely aligned with what I'm trying to accomplish.

I need to get some recommendations on equipment for voice recordings.

Oral History Inerviews are typically conducted with older folks in the 70-90 year old range, and they HATE to talk into a recorder; and would leave the room if I pulled out a camcorder.  The mixing boards and pre-amps i've been looking at are just right out for these interviews.

I have an Archos Gmini 120 MP3 player.  While I think that it's great for getting rid of CD's and backing up data files, I'm not sure it's the right device for voice recording.  But it would be cool to go directly to a digital file instead of messing around with tape.  I'm not even sure if it has a mic in jack.  I bought a cheap mic from radio shack.  No go.  I bought a Sony ECM MS907 microphone because I was told to get a pre-amplified microphone and the salesman at Good Guys is an idiot.  The built in condernser mic is the best so far, but I can't stand all of the background noise that it picks up. (A/C, TV, wind chimes, cats.  - The goal is to make these people feel comfortable so they will talk, so I can't always get rid of the background noise.  Oh, and i just can't find a good source for Sodium Pentathol since Jimmy Carter started liberalizing black ops)

I think the Gmini will only record from a line level source.  Can anyone confirm this?  Archos doesn't have the balls to reply to my email.

Is there a setup that will allow me to have two mono lavs (one for me, one for the interviewee) go into a stereo jack?  Should I leave the Gmini out of interviews and look at another device?  Is there a small preamp that could go inline with the mic I have.

If all you want to do is record speech, go to radio shack and buy a single clip mic, like the ones the newreporters wear.  Run that into the mic-in on your recorder.  They run about $20 per I think, and aren't all that bad considering.

Lots of the folks here are recording music, and that requires a little more thought, money, and equipment.

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline kevinekstrom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:31:27 AM »
I don't have phantom power (isn't that from a mixing board?)  Is there a huge difference between "mic in" going to a device that accepts that input and line in from a mic that either runs through a pre amp or has the 48v as suggested above? (ARE the last two mics considered line level?) Not sure if my vernacular is correct in the preceeding sentences.

I'll go check out sound professional pages and see if I can come up with questions to convince

Moke, when you said I have my own answers, do you mean that the equipment I have would work if I knew how to use it or that I've identified the operating environment that defines what equipment to use?

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 11:12:29 AM »
my suggestion to you would be to get a cheap minidisc recorder with the mic in plug (you can find them on ebay for under $50)  then go get some cheap mics from radio shack, or if you have about $50 or so to spend go get some giant squid mics. Because you have the mic in on the minidisc you wont need the phantom power or battery box for what your doing.  and if you email darren from giant squid he probably can make the mic cords as long as you need them so you can clip the mics to each of your shirts. 

here is a minidisc that would work and it even includes mics, so you wouldnt need to buy any: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67851&item=5706530689&rd=1
any one similar to this, sharp or sony that has a mic in will work for what you need.

but if you wanted to upgrade the mics these would work out well, and he will probably would be willing to make the cords very long so you could both use one and be at a comforatable distance.  http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-stereo1.htm

hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:16:12 AM by sirchek »
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com