Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4060s....too bassy?  (Read 4669 times)

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
DPA 4060s....too bassy?
« on: April 23, 2003, 07:13:20 PM »
so I'm thinking of going to some of these. Unless I'm mistaken...I'd rather get the DPA version and power them myself instead of the Core Sound modded ones with a battery...no? Seems to me the 48v power would yeild a better sonic range than a battery box....no?

anyone ever run these in a comparible situation as my possible rig:

DPA 4060s>PS-2>SBM-1(un-modded...might later be though)>PCM-M1

the bass is kind of a concern for me. I do a lot of indoor taping where I think this could be an issue.

input?....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 10:11:20 PM by busknuckle »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:DPA 4060s....to bassy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 07:51:30 PM »
if bass is an issue i ecommend not running the modsbm1, that seems to exaggerate the bass (in my opinion)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 07:51:46 PM by scott brown »

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:DPA 4060s....too bassy?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 11:59:03 PM »
really?  you think this will be the case w/ the Omnis, (4060s) run from the crowd, Scott?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 02:04:56 AM »
Can't comment on the power issue as I'm not an expert on such things, but rumor has it that Core Sound's box is really the way to power the 60 series as it doesn't use a diode like DPA's 9v box. But I don't really know what that means. I use DPA's MPS-6010 with 4061s and I never expect to have a problem at a concert with SPL. 144 dB will kill a man, and I can't think of any musical enviroment that aurally toxic... but your question is about range and that's up to someone else to answah.
As for bass, though, most of the time you're not even going to use the damn filter, the mics are that tight. I wouldn't have used it with the mics 5'6" off the Fillmore floor at Ministry and am glad I didn't - the only thing wrong with that recording is the damn omni bass reverb! ("Rolling" in that situation would only have masked the problem and made the recording sound weak.)
But it is a good option to have.
Armen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 07:18:25 AM »
>> really?  you think this will be the case w/ the Omnis, (4060s) run from the crowd, Scott?
 <<

i don't think the 406xs are *too* bassy, but they can produce a lot of bass since they're omni...

i loved the bass on them, but i don't know if i would have paired them with something that exaggerated that bass as much as i think the mod sbm does.  it was almost as if it's just enough, any more and you might not like it.  that make sense?

of course that didn't exactly answer his question.  i wouldn't worry about the bass on these things...you'll be happy
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 07:19:25 AM by scott brown »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com