Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone suggestions..  (Read 10400 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Headphone suggestions..
« on: July 07, 2003, 10:15:53 AM »
Taking suggestions on some closed headphones.  Since moving to a UA-5 > JB3 combo I've found it really difficult to monitor my levels using the meters provided by the JB3.  I also have found I like to mismatch the levels by just a hair resulting in a louder right hand channel  ::)

Ideally a cheapish priced set of phones that can somewhat be used in the field, realize that it's hard to find a decent setup for cheap that can actually be heard above a show let alone with the mildly powered UA-5.  

Also note, I tried searching but thanks to the emoticon that shares the "headphone" name a lot of useless posts come up..

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

wrangler_n_space

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re:Headphone suggestions..
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:25:29 AM »
I need CLOSED headphones, for monitoring in the field..

I have a pair of grado's at home :D  They don't cut the cheese in the field unless I wanna wait until setbreak to listen..
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:27:14 AM »
Get the Etymotics in-ear headphones for monitoring at a show; they cost about $120 and block out a ton of outside noise.  I have the Sony 7506 for $100 and it blocks out some outside noise, but you have to crank it to properly monitor and that is never good for your ears.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 11:17:25 AM »
If you wanna go pretty cheap you might want to look at these: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G17B25D25 . I like them in the field because they block out outside noise so you can hear your mics, and they are cheap and fairly ruged. They make cheaper models too. That way if they break its not a huge deal.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 12:54:38 PM »
The Sennheiser HD280's do a pretty good job of blocking out sound also. You may want to check those out.

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 12:56:27 PM »
You might try a pair of in ear monitors and a pair of hearing protector ear muffs.  I use a cheap pair of rat shack ear buds and ear muffs which reduce noise by 29 decibels!  Works great.

+

=

:coolguy:

"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 01:20:17 PM »
Get the Etymotics in-ear headphones for monitoring at a show; they cost about $120 and block out a ton of outside noise.  I have the Sony 7506 for $100 and it blocks out some outside noise, but you have to crank it to properly monitor and that is never good for your ears.
I got a pair of these and I love em- the're also great for plane trips or just whenever you want to isolate yourself from the outside world
Team Bama Alumni

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 01:28:35 PM »
Here's another nod for the Etymotic ER-6 in-ear phones.  Great for the field (and on my motorcycle).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

cpclark

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 07:05:36 PM »
i use the sennhieser hd280's, top notch and you can get them in most places for $100, they are as good as they get for full size closed design headphones, really nice screw on 1/4 inch adapter over the 1/8th mini, real nice.

Offline Chad

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade Lists
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 10:56:09 PM »
etymotic!!

jr

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 11:23:41 PM »
I like my Senn HD250 linear II's. Comfortable and good sounding IMO. A bit bulky though. I tend to beat them up pretty good and they hold up very well. Those "little" Etymotic's look real nice too!! Thanks......Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 11:22:12 AM »
Here's another nod for the Etymotic ER-6 in-ear phones.  Great for the field (and on my motorcycle).

Etymotic is the Sh*t! I use the ER-4S myself, which I liked better than ER-6 models, but to be honest with you if I wasn't willing to spend the extra cash, the ER-6 models would have worked.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Earplugs (was Re:Headphone suggestions...)
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 11:31:22 AM »
Etymotic is the Sh*t! I use the ER-4S myself, which I liked better than ER-6 models, but to be honest with you if I wasn't willing to spend the extra cash, the ER-6 models would have worked.

Wayne

I agree that Etymotic is the shite.

While I don't have their headphones, I do use their earplugs. After YEARS of loud music I have the dreaded tinnitinus (sp?) so it is a MUST, even though I do forget at times and pay big when I do. If you aren't already using some ear protection, please do so now. Take it from someone who must have white noise of some sort to go to sleep, bummer ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
Re:Earplugs (was Re:Headphone suggestions...)
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 12:24:12 PM »
While I don't have their headphones, I do use their earplugs. After YEARS of loud music I have the dreaded tendinitis so it is a MUST

Another one of the regular's here *M. French* that wearing ear protection is a MUST. I always wear hearing protection at shows (and need to do it more often when using the table saw and router), because I enjoy music and don't ever want to NOT hear the music.

Etymotic makes some of the best hearing protection because it allows just enough of the music in to not sound like you're listening through big wads of cotton. Very nice and super cheap!

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com