Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NJB3 questions  (Read 2465 times)

Offline yanosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
NJB3 questions
« on: August 20, 2005, 07:39:18 PM »
I saw in the starters post that njb3 achieve the 3-4-5 steps of getting a show recorded so my question is why are the following questions (I didn't understand a thing about them and their answer) appear in the faq?

Is it bit-perfect when fed a digital signal?
Where do I get a digital signal converter?
How do I power my Hosa ODL-312 or ODL-276 digital format converter?
So does this mean I can use it to patch in digital patch chains?  What about analog patching?
What about patching multiple NJB3s together in a chain?
Can I split the optical signal after my DFC and before my NJB3 to patch two NJB3s off the same DFC?

I thought that if you have a njb3 you only need get get mic and mic power and that all.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: NJB3 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 02:45:49 AM »
why are the following questions (I didn't understand a thing about them and their answer) appear in the faq?

Is it bit-perfect when fed a digital signal?
Where do I get a digital signal converter?
How do I power my Hosa ODL-312 or ODL-276 digital format converter?
So does this mean I can use it to patch in digital patch chains? What about analog patching?
What about patching multiple NJB3s together in a chain?
Can I split the optical signal after my DFC and before my NJB3 to patch two NJB3s off the same DFC?

The reason these questions are in the FAQ is because many of us use the JB3 as a purely digital recorder, i.e. only [5] (storage device) of the NJB3s stated [3-4-5] (gain, ADC, storage) capabilities. That is, we use an external device for gain [1] and an external device for ADC [4] and therefore only use the JB3 as a digital storage device [5].  However, using an external device for [3] gain, and [4] ADC is entirely out of the budget from your intial post.  As such, these questions do not apply to your purposes.

I thought that if you have a njb3 you only need get get mic and mic power and that all.

Given the purposes and budget you've defined in your original post, you would actually use the NJB3 for all three capabilities it possesses:  [3] gain, [4] ADC, and [5] storage.  If one intends to use the NJB3 for all three functions I just noted, then the previous questions re digital format converters, patching, etc. are not relevant.

Let's look at the facts:

• You have a stated budget of $170.
  • The absolute least expensive mics + mic power you can get (not including DIY) cost $50 for the mics and $40 for mic power, for a total of $90.
  • Given your budget of $170, that leaves only $80 for [3] gain, [4] ADC, and [5] storage.
  • the *only* devices you'll find reasonably easily that satisfy those three criteria [3-4-5], within the price range of $80, are older MD units (i.e. not Hi-MD).
So...given the facts above, what are the options available?  Either...

[1] get an MD (per my recommendation), or

[2] increase your budget by at least $75-$150 to accomodate Hi-MD or JB3.

Those are your choices.  FWIW, I seriously question the value of sticking with purely lossless recording if you're using absolute bottom-bucket, low-end mics like the Giant Squid.  That isn't to say you won't be - and other Giant Squid users aren't - happy with recordings using those mics.  But with low-end mics, I find it highly unlikely you'll hear the difference between MD ATRAC recording and Hi-MD or NJB3 lossless WAV recording.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 01:03:49 PM »
Thanks for the information.
I think I'll head for a jb3 with the mic you recommeded.

Just one more thing.
Can you expalin to me in a little detail the differences between recording in digital input/analog input?

I understand that both are available in jb3, and I understand the difference between digi/ana in general but I still don't really understand the differences between the recording methods.
Is it also true that if I use the jb3 for [3-4-5] steps then I should only record in Analog?
But if I record in analog then what would convert the media to digital in the end?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 01:17:31 PM »
Can you expalin to me in a little detail the differences between recording in digital input/analog input?

But if I record in analog then what would convert the media to digital in the end?

When you use the JB3 for recording, the end-state of the recording will always be digital, regardless of whether you're feeding the JB3 an analog or digital signal.  The only question is *where* the analog-to-digital conversion takes place:  outside the JB3, or inside the JB3:

• When running the JB3 in "analog-in" mode, you're feeding the JB3 an analog signal and the JB3 performs the analog-to-digital conversion internally before storing the digital recording on its hard drive.
  • When running the JB3 in "digital-in" mode, the analog-to-digital conversion takes place outside the JB3 and the JB3 simply stores the digital file on its hard drive.
Is it also true that if I use the jb3 for [3-4-5] steps then I should only record in Analog?

In your situation, you don't have a choice.  Since you're feeding the JB3 an analog signal, you *must* run the JB3 in "analog-in" mode.  The only way you can run the JB3 in "digital-in" mode is if you have an external ADC (which you don't).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline yanosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »
Got it.
Thank you for the easy explanation.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »
+T skalinder ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com