Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good Mic for a Video Camera?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Good Mic for a Video Camera?
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:19:02 AM »
Subject pretty much says it all.  In this case, I'm specifically referring to a mic to use for stealth recording.

The onboard mics on video cameras are generally pretty crappy.  Of course, as is the case with audio taping - location is really important.  The major difference being: you can't generally film from somewhere right out in front of the stacks and get away with it nearly as easy as you can tape audio.  So you usually end up in a spot (the cheap seats come to mind) that is not good for audio.  If it's a really popular band playing a large venue, you stand a reasonably good chance that someone audio taped the show.  But most of the time that doesn't happen, so you are stuck with whatever you got with your video camera's mic.

So does anyone have experience with attaching an external mic to a video camera audio line-in jack? Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline deeb70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Good Mic for a Video Camera?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 06:26:06 PM »
I've only used one external mic.  It is a Sony ECM-717.  Small, black and it attaches to your shirt or collar.  I've videotaped in a small club for my brother in-law with the onboard mic and the sound was so loud it came out distorted.  Bought this mic, videotaped at same club and the sound came out clean. 

I do think this mic is discontinued but I think you can find it.  If not, I'm sure there is a replacement one that you can buy.  Hope this helps :)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 07:28:32 PM »
i've tried sonic studios, okms and realistics 33-1065 all through mic in.  all work fine. first 2 would be body mounted.

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:06:17 PM »
Sony ECM717- check ebay, i got one used for 50 bucks there- worth every penny.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 12:24:52 AM »
I was at one website and it says the Sony ECM717 has been replaced with the ECM719.  If I have a hard time finding an ECM717, is the ECM719 a good replacement?  Or is this one of those deals where the "upgraded" model actually sucks in comparison to its predecessor?
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 01:59:59 AM »
The ecm719 works fine from what I know but I have seen it in person and it sticks out like a sore thumb being that its pretty much all silver, I like the ecm717 since its pitch black and I can clip it to the top of my shirt without being noticeable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com