Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22330 times)

Offline TeaLeafer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Do tapers have fun at shows
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:44:08 AM »
Sorry if this had been posted I couldn't find it, if anyone knows of a link just post it

So I'm thinking about getting started in taperdom, I have a good hook up for the gear to get started and I'm looking into it and researching.  One main thing that I need to know is how is taping a show different from just attending a show.  I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night?  Not that I need these things to enjoy a show.  So, what I'm looking for is all of your oppinions on this matter, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask:  How is the experience different when taping? 

I hope to learn from your experiences
Thanks
Ben
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:45:52 AM by TeaLeafer »

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:29 AM »
I have fun at shows. I taped Ween and The Flaming Lips the other night and was fried out of my mind for most of the night. It was a great time, and I'm listening to the Ween set now.

Depending on the show you may have to stay by your gear. I usually feel comfortable at most shows at I'm at. When there are other tapers about they'll usually keep an eye on your gear. Just don't be that guy that asks if you can watch his gear...every show.

If you really want to enjoy a show, skip taping for that night. I've skipped on taping a few shows this year (only ones that I know are being recorded). It was nice to know I was having a great time, and I could still get a copy of the show.

Frequently I have MORE FUN at shows when taping. I'd actually say that I'm sure I had more fun the other night hanging out with my taper friends vs. the "regular" friends I came with!

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »
I have more fun taping and I drink like a fish.  just make sure you can handle your booze and "other".
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »
I have the most fun taping when

a) I really like the band (duh...)
b) I'm not with my girlfriend
c) I can sit on a stool or at a table
d) I have a friend to hang out with who doesn't mind hanging in the back and chilling.

I have a lot of fun at shows.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »
Fun?
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:14:15 AM »
I've got to say I have a great time taping at shows.  There is the random person around your mics that are bound to bug you... but thats life.  After recording several shows it will stop bugging you and you will get used to it.  Also, I have met some very kind people in the taper section.

I think one key for me to having fun is that we have a few local tapers here that are at most shows.  We have fun with each other and if any of us decide to leave the taper section to hit the rail or go get drinks we know that the rest of us will look out for our gear so there are really now worries.

Taping became much of an addiction for me and I love doing it.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:33:04 AM »
I generally have more fun at shows that I'm taping vs. not.  Although maybe a bit removed from the normal concert going experience, there is a unique satisfaction in capturing it in a recording...kinda like fishing.

There is a bit of delayed gratification involved, of course.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:57 AM »
I generally have more fun at shows that I'm taping vs. not.  Although maybe a bit removed from the normal concert going experience, there is a unique satisfaction in capturing it in a recording...kinda like fishing.

There is a bit of delayed gratification involved, of course.

I especially like it when you capture something completely unique (even better when you're running video).  Like something you hear about a few weeks later from someone else... "Hey, did you hear they covered such and such a song?" or "Did you hear what he said between these two songs?"  And you have it on tape.  That's nice.

Offline ehg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 04:55:49 AM »
I mostly do stealth so leaving the gear is not an option obviously. I guess I could say I don't enjoy the concert the same way when taping (no drinks, dancing, claping and so on) but on the other hand I can really listen and watch what's going on on stage without much distraction.

Also, if I'm not taping (or taking pictures) I tend to stand the whole concert thinking "I would have got a great tape/photos from here. I should have brought my stuff"...
AT853 > battbox > Sony MZ-NH1

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:40:24 AM »
I mostly do stealth so leaving the gear is not an option obviously. I guess I could say I don't enjoy the concert the same way when taping (no drinks, dancing, claping and so on) but on the other hand I can really listen and watch what's going on on stage without much distraction.

Also, if I'm not taping (or taking pictures) I tend to stand the whole concert thinking "I would have got a great tape/photos from here. I should have brought my stuff"...

Yup, I stealth tape also and that can be a bummer not being able to move much. But, at the last show I taped I managed to put the mics on my jacket...

...But the jacket was on the barrier (I was front row balcony) so I was able to move and enjoy the gig without wrecking my recording. Only bummer is the people that keep moving past to get drinks or go to the toilet. My mics got knocked about 4 times that night - but overall a decent tape and I enjoyed it more.

Its a good thing that for a few of my next gigs are at the same venue so hopefully do the same thing.   ;)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:17:56 AM »
I am strictly a stealth taper... I've taped over a hundred shows and not a single one of them open.  I must say that these days I have more fun taping than not.  I've never been much of a drinker or partaker of "other" substances so I don't miss that.  (I will say that my early taping "mentor" used to make sick tapes even when fried out of his brain.)  I've gotten so used to the not-moving-around thing that it doesn't bother me anymore.  I do a lot of head-bopping in my seat. :)  Sometimes it does suck that I can't talk to my friends during the show, but it more than pays off when I can listen to a nice recording later. 

I get a real kick when I look down and check my meters and see those VUs going.  I absolutely love that.  (except when they're clipping) ::)

As someone else said above, when I'm not taping sometimes I'll be saying to myself, "Damn, I should've brought my gear."  And definitely afterwards, I'll regret not having taped it. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:19:51 AM »
I have more fun taping and I drink like a fish.  just make sure you can handle your booze and "other".

Word.  I feel naked without a beer constantly in my hand.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »
I don't have much fun taping.  Esspecially stealthing.  Open taping I have not had much fun because I have had problems with my rig.  Now that I got my rig all put together and have a ton of practice, I think it is gonna be a ton more fun.   ;D
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 09:20:13 AM »
usually i have fun, at times you have the asshole who wants to give you shit or play with your gear
but as a whole its fun
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com