Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone tried the Sound Prof's nose mike for r-09?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline floete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
anyone tried the Sound Prof's nose mike for r-09?
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
Well, I'm calling it a nose mike but what it does is plug into the top of the unit, to wit:

Here's the boilerplate:
SOUND PROFESSIONALS - LOW PROFILE HIGH SENSITIVITY STEREO MICROPHONE FOR EDIROL R-09
Retail: $129.00   Your Price (USD): $99.00
 Description:

The newest of the Edirol R-09 accessory line, this high quality omnidirectional stereo mic improves upon the built in mics. This microphone offers better bass response, more discreet stereo separation and better sensitivity - better sensitivity means less hiss in your recordings since the mic preamp in the R-09 will not have to worl as hard to amplify the mic signal.

Specifications:

* Signal To Noise Ratio: >62 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
    * Dynamic Range: 81dB without battery module, 95dB with battery module
    * Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz +/- 1dB
    * Open Circuit Sensitivity: -35 dB (5.6 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
    * Maximum Input Sound Level: 98 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D. (113dB with battery module)

BTW: does it bother anyone else, this horseswill about retail and "your price"?  it's *not* like this stuff is from Sony or anything, so there is no retail price.  retail is whatever the SPs say it is, right?  so for them to suggest i'm "saving" 30 clams is, like, bogus, dood.  mini rant over.  and out!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: anyone tried the Sound Prof's nose mike for r-09?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
Well, I'm calling it a nose mike but what it does is plug into the top of the unit, to wit:

Here's the boilerplate:
SOUND PROFESSIONALS - LOW PROFILE HIGH SENSITIVITY STEREO MICROPHONE FOR EDIROL R-09
Retail: $129.00   Your Price (USD): $99.00
 Description:

The newest of the Edirol R-09 accessory line, this high quality omnidirectional stereo mic improves upon the built in mics. This microphone offers better bass response, more discreet stereo separation and better sensitivity - better sensitivity means less hiss in your recordings since the mic preamp in the R-09 will not have to worl as hard to amplify the mic signal.

Specifications:

* Signal To Noise Ratio: >62 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
    * Dynamic Range: 81dB without battery module, 95dB with battery module
    * Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz +/- 1dB
    * Open Circuit Sensitivity: -35 dB (5.6 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
    * Maximum Input Sound Level: 98 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D. (113dB with battery module)

BTW: does it bother anyone else, this horseswill about retail and "your price"?  it's *not* like this stuff is from Sony or anything, so there is no retail price.  retail is whatever the SPs say it is, right?  so for them to suggest i'm "saving" 30 clams is, like, bogus, dood.  mini rant over.  and out!

Actually I think a company is entitled to do what ever they want when it comes to pricing.. I give T.S members a substantial discount for items they purchase from me So does Sound Professionals. Hey why not cut them some slack they could say f#@! You here's your price. But they don't I think its unfair to shit on a company because they are giving you a discount.... Maybe one day you will run your own company and know what its like to have sales and have to lose money to drive in customers.....If you only knew what it costs to run a company you would understand the need to show discounts. To give a customer a perceived benefit of cost savings, is a basic principle of business.. And it happens all the time not just with SP, but with every furniture store, or electronics store or, food store.

Rant over....

Chris Church
Church Audio
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline floete

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 02:13:11 PM »
okay chris thanks for your opinion about "perceived benefits" as opposed to (I can only assume) actual benefits!!!!
   but what about the mike itself?  have an *opinion* about it?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »
okay chris thanks for your opinion about "perceived benefits" as opposed to (I can only assume) actual benefits!!!!
   but what about the mike itself?  have an *opinion* about it?

I have never used it.. So I have no opinion on its function. I am sure it sounds fine. I think the built in mic is also good.

Chris Church
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:30:38 PM by Church-Audio »

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
Would you feel better if instead of "retail price", they would have said "Manufacturer's suggested retail price"?  I'm sure that is what they meant.  But you do have a point - nobody ever actually pays the suggested price on anything.

It's different for someone like Chris, since he IS the manufacturer of his products, not a reseller of someone else's stuff.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
Would you feel better if instead of "retail price", they would have said "Manufacturer's suggested retail price"?  I'm sure that is what they meant.  But you do have a point - nobody ever actually pays the suggested price on anything.

It's different for someone like Chris, since he IS the manufacturer of his products, not a reseller of someone else's stuff.

Yes that's a good point SP is a reseller of products. I manufacture my products so I can set my own price. I have the price I sell things for on eBay marked up because of the bullshit fees I have to pay. And there is the price the T.S members pay that is discounted.. I also from time to time help someone out who does not have much money with a really good deal. But its getting harder and harder to do that with users reselling things get "good deals on"

Chris Church

Offline dwissl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:07:28 AM »
This microphone has a better open circuit sensitivity than the built-in one. If you like the built-in mic, but think, that you have to turn up the preamp a bit too far so that it makes too much noise, the Edirol mike from SP is for you. If you want something with better channel seperation, you should get something else. The R-9 mike from SP IMHO is like a louder version of the built-in one. Unfortunately, wind screens cannot be put onto it easily. If you want that, get an SP-SM13 (sensitive version). Actually I'd always buy the SM13 instead of the special Edirol mike.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 04:56:31 AM »
This microphone has a better open circuit sensitivity than the built-in one. If you like the built-in mic, but think, that you have to turn up the preamp a bit too far so that it makes too much noise, the Edirol mike from SP is for you. If you want something with better channel seperation, you should get something else. The R-9 mike from SP IMHO is like a louder version of the built-in one. Unfortunately, wind screens cannot be put onto it easily. If you want that, get an SP-SM13 (sensitive version). Actually I'd always buy the SM13 instead of the special Edirol mike.

The problem with increasing the open circuit sensitivity is you also increase the distortion at a lower SPL.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.506 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com