Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Great Deal on a McIntosh Setup  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Great Deal on a McIntosh Setup
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »
I'd buy it myself if it wasn't in NYC, and the fact I have no idea how to fix it.

$500 though  :o

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/308403778.html
mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Great Deal on a McIntosh Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
Athough both units can be repaired these repairs will add up quickly. Both glass faces are replaceable & the walnut cabinets are add ons but can be refinished. Just make sure if you buy them you are prepared to spend some money, it's a shame seeing such nice gear be in such nasty physical condition, I can only imagine what the insides look like! I wonder how those stains on the top of the cases got there?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
I'm about sound not looks, but seeing as I have no technical knowledge I can't repair it myself and won't foot the bill for the electronic repairs.

I could care less what the cabinet looks like.

But i'll hold out for stumbling across one by accident.
mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
I'm about sound not looks, but seeing as I have no technical knowledge I can't repair it myself and won't foot the bill for the electronic repairs.

I could care less what the cabinet looks like.

But i'll hold out for stumbling across one by accident.

I agree but my point is that, if it looks that bad there is no way it was ever treated with care. That alone makes me suspect, it also makes me believe there are more problems then the seller indicated which would lead to higher repair bills. With audio, I will always pay slightly more for a better condition unit as it will only add to the re-sale later on.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »
In that sort of condition, it would certainly cost a fortune to restore these.
As was previously said, if they look this bad on the outside, they aren't worth messing with.
I don't think they are worth half of what they are asking, plus finding someone who could properly fix and restore them would also be difficult.
If you can do it yourself, then it might be worth taking a risk on them, but only if I could inspect and open them up first.
Even then, i would still try to get them for half that price or less.
Old gear that hasn't been cared for is more than trouble than it's worth, literally.
Cheers, Phil

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 11:33:28 PM »
Yeah I guess I didn't think  of the water damage.

I had no intention of driving to NYC to get these, I have friends and family in Binghamton (the home of McIntosh) and i've put them on the lookout for stuff at yard sales etc.  I'm actually thinking about getting one of their older integrateds.  The MA-2200 or something.  Pair that with a pair of klipsch heresy's or VR-1's for my turntable.

I'd love this (check out the stealie) its local but I don't have the cash for that!  Plus I have no idea  if its actually worth it, its just quite beautiful.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1181079467

mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com