Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KORG MR-1 External Power Source  (Read 20716 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: KORG MR-1 External Power Source
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:20 AM »
"I believe it's OK to hook up a couple of 7805's in parallel... so then you have twice the capacity.  In theory anyway.  I'm quite sure I read that somewhere... never tried it myself."

Google that and they all say "Bozo NoNo" 

Doing a test with a 7850 (to220 package) and IF the unit is charged when you start and IF you have a heatsink big enough it works fine. stays warm though.  Power in to the circuit draws 500ma (sitting on the table) and 700ma when it is recording This is all still within the 7805 specs.       I may build a LM2675-5 circuit and try that.

The test continues..

Yes, you can parallel linear regulators, but need to add ~1 ohm power resister in-series with EACH output so load sharing occurs correctly.

D7/8 and D100/M1 decks power plug is special locking type with internal 'tuning-fork' center pin contact grip (not common 'open-barrel' type).  Special ordered thousands 'for molding' #1-171A-3211 connector from Mouser many years ago.  This is a DC power connector that does NOT let go easily, or disconnects with plug rotation so the deck is not shut down without notice.

Still have this part in stock here for making right-angle molded power cords with custom 450 copper strand 20ga power zip cord used in many external power products shown on page www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »
The MOTB Project now has Korg as a "benefactor" :) ... we are getting a MR-1000 and the MR-1.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with for battery solutions... so we can also post new shows.
We will be doing some extensive testing comparing PCM and DSD.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:45:03 PM »
yah!!

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »
6 volt external, too much???
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
i've been wondering that.
IMO, it would probably work just fine and within the tolerance of the chips.  but...I ain't tryin' it.
:(

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »
I always got improved performance running my P-1 at 8.0 and it was rated at 7.2.   That was one of the biggest problems with that unit, was people powering it with a 6 volt. You always heard people dissing the P-1...never had the first stop or power issue running the phatter battery.

I used 2 - 4.5 volt 4 amp hour emergency light batteries to make my 9 volts for the P-1.......That thing would go a whole show , plus into the late night at the hotel for playback.

I don't know how beefy the power system is on the MR-1 though. The internal battery doesn't seem to go very far.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
fyi..  I found a small external Li-Ion battery pack that works with the MR-1 at Frys Electronics.  It's called the Powerbank and costs $60 at Frys.  It has a capacity of 4400mAh (@3.7V).  There's a switch on the Powerbank to select 5V, 6V or 8.4V.  The PowerBank is pretty small (3.3"H x 2.3"L x 0.84"W) and weighs 4.4oz, perfect for stealthing.  It has a charging indicator light and a series of indicator lights showing how much charge is left.  It comes with all types of connectors for cellphones, ipod and other electronic devices.  And a leather pouch to carry everything. The barrel connector labeled 04-D is the closest fit for the MR-1.  I found it to be a bit too tight a fit, so I filed down the yellow tip a bit around the outside of the barrel.  Fits perfectly now.
I recorded a show last night using the MR-1 and PowerBank.  I ran the MR-1 powered off the PowerBank from 7:30pm when the opening bands started til the concert ended at around midnight.  The PowerBank supplied the power for the entire evening.  The internal battery on the MR-1 still showed a full charge.  And there was still enough juice left in the PowerBank to play back the concert on the MR-1 listening through my earphones.   So I'm very satisfied with it so far.  This is more power than I'll probably ever need recording a gig.

Here's a URL link if you'd like more info on the Powerbank.   You can download the manual from the site, too.

http://www.premiumpowerproducts.com/Products/PowerBank.htm

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »
Yup, that'd be the one.  Not surprised the Powerbank can be found for cheaper online than Frys is selling it for.  It was an impulse buy when I was passing by the aisle of ipod accessories at Frys last week.  I wasn't sure if it would even work with the MR-1, so it would have been easier to return it to Frys which is a couple minutes from me, rather than ship it back. 
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
Frys Sucks but it a nessesary evil in Phoenix. Good fingd though... +T
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 12:18:22 AM »
Is the MR-1 tip positive?   Thanks in advance!

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
Is the MR-1 tip positive?   Thanks in advance!

See attached for the back of the power supply included with the deck for all specs

Sorry, no idea how to make it display small and then get bigger when you click on it, PM me me if you know how and Ill fix it

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »
Ok - I ran the MR-1 tonight at WSP for the first time and it sounds amazing!  I ran into two issues though:

1. The Power indicator only shows the "plug" or "lightning bolt" for about a minute and then it goes back to battery bars, but the battery does not seem to drain.  Is this normal when running off an external power source? 
Ran it using my VR box set to 5.30 V off an Electrovaya PP160.  The Electrovaya went down 20% after about the 3 hours of record time.

2. My right channel cut out 2x - don't know what's going on here as all the cables where tight - i wiggled the 1/8" stereo on my PSP-2 on the first occasion and it came back - on the second occasion I reseated the 1/8" TRS connector on the MR-1 and it came back

FWIW - Ran 13th row ROC (as close to Center as possible) about 7.5" high MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > EAA PSP-2 > MR-1

What DSD filter setting should I run?  I ran filter 1

Very sticky sounding!!!  ;D

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »
psp2>mr1 eh?  I might have to hear that!

problem #1.  no problem.  thats the unit being powered / charged etc .. by the external.  Mine does the same thing.  runs for a long time though, and that is whats key.

#2.  sounds like cable issues to me.
I guess you need to order one from that hydra guy.
::)

here's to another DSDeliceous recording!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:02:43 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 02:17:26 PM »
sometimes its a matter of current though, and its hard to get that (which is what the MR1 is finicky about) w/o getting a beefier supply.

Personally, when I know a VR will work and 5v is my output....I like to use 7.2v RCs for a source.  if I'm building a 9v > 5v setup, I use a heatsink.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com