Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 78565 times)

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2019, 03:20:36 AM »
so weird thing happened tonight.  Running MixPre-10 II with 8 channels armed nd no L/R mix channels 32 bit/48khz on a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 256GB SD Card...end of the night the display froze up on me..show was over and the levels were frozen.  record light on the knob was still red.  took a few times of hitting stop to get light off and even then the display was still frozen.  powered off and back on and everything was fine.  Even got entire show, no SD write errors.. yay!! but still weird. I ran same amount of channels for even longer on Friday and Saturday and this didn't happen..

Offline rick.lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2019, 09:08:19 AM »
You might want to try the Wise 128GB card I filled in a stress test with 8 channels of 32bit audio at 192KHz with no issues in MixPre-6 II 4.01:

https://www.coremicro.com/wise-sd2-128u3-128gb-sdxc-uhs-ii-memory-card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:10:42 AM by rick.lang »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2019, 09:17:07 AM »
its a shame that the only cards over 32GB that work are either $200 or not available in the US
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
With what I had to pay for the SD32GB card, the price for the Wise 128GB SDXC card was proportional.  The capacity will get me through my longest day recording music and vocals.

I needed something reliable that is actually tested in use recording a 4K continuous video stream which Wise performs on their BMPCC4K cameras.  I have the Wise CFast 2 1 TB card and the Wise Portable SSD 1TB drive as well as the Wise Duo Card reader (a slit for SD and a slot for CFast 2).  Never failed me... yet!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2019, 09:27:32 AM »
^^, ^^^ That might not be a card issue, especially since the data was written and there wasn't an error message.

Tested 29.97 fps failed slightly at about the 15 minute and by one hour was almost a complete frame behind. I stopped the test.  It’s the same pattern.

Sadly 25 fps with 4.01 suddenly went from perfect to an even frame behind as I watched it! About 40 minutes into the recording.  Nothing gradual about it.  I killed the test.  Maybe it was a one-time thing and might go well for hours, but I wouldn’t trust Timecode unless you are using 23.976 fps. 

If you want or need to shoot one of the problematic frame rates, rather than jam the MixPre to a Tentacle, you just tell the MixPre to take its Timecode from a tethered Tentacle.  Costs you money if it means you need an extra Tentacle but you’ll have worry free syncing in post or anywhere else.

I’m going to let 23.976 fps run for hours and see if it remains good.  It should because it’s done longer than that before.

You may want to check in on one of the Facebook groups. Lots of chaff to separate from the wheat, to be sure, but there are a lot of people who are doing film stuff and Sound Devices staff post fairly regularly. Many of the people here are audio only...

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
Thanks, Aaron, very thoughtful of you.  I try to keep a low profile outside of the Blackmagic Design user forum.  I know that attitude of mine could use some adjusting!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
^ I also try to keep a low profile out there in the digital wilds. I have a Facebook account with zero posts and the bare minimum of personal data. I pretty much got it to read the SD, DPA, and taper's pages and to occasionally reach out to a band I want to record. Maybe some information regarding the Timecode, though, so I thought it might be useful for you. Lots of chaff, though!

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Has anybody got a workaround for this? I just want to record the ISO tracks because that's all I need and to save on file sizes, but when I do this it seems that I cannot check my recordings in the MixPre because it can only play the mixed tracks.

Is there a way to playback the ISO tracks, either individually or combined?
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
Has anybody got a workaround for this? I just want to record the ISO tracks because that's all I need and to save on file sizes, but when I do this it seems that I cannot check my recordings in the MixPre because it can only play the mixed tracks.

Is there a way to playback the ISO tracks, either individually or combined?

Ignore me, I've sorted it.

Change Headphone to Advanced, choose HP Preset to Preset 1 and edit Preset 1 to pick the ISO tracks. They don't make this easy!
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »
Does new firmware disable headphone output? I can’t get anything and am trying to stream tonight.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
Does new firmware disable headphone output? I can’t get anything and am trying to stream tonight.
mine works on 4.01
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
darnit, thought i actually found a stable card over 32GB. This $60 Transcend 64GB UHS-II card recorded the full 3h38m the first two passes, then failed on the third pass after 47 minutes (15 seconds into a new file). Anecdotally it seems like a lot of the failures are soon after flipping to a new file

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191314.msg2312164#msg2312164
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:44:09 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2019, 11:01:14 PM »
Yes.
I'm seeing many failures the first few seconds when the new file is getting written.

I'm also have the Timecode running wild and not responding correctly to Stop button if the recorder is left running while not confirming the Buffer Error failure.
This have happen quite a few times. Both with 3.x firmware but also with 4.01.
I finally submitted a support ticket to SD about it but don't really expect it to be fixed as it does only occur after a Buffer Failure.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2019, 12:27:35 AM »
Yes.
I'm seeing many failures the first few seconds when the new file is getting written.

the next failure was identical. first one was 15 sec into the 4th file. second one was 44 sec in

almost makes me think the reason we see less failures at lower bitrates is because it flips thru less files

i can usually get a whole set of six tracks@24/48 on one file. maybe one file flip at most
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:29:36 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2019, 12:51:46 AM »
My Sound Devices branded 32GB card failed with a Data Error once today during a shoot.  Just once thankfully.  First time for everything.  Writing only 6 tracks 32bit 48KHz.  It had passed for me when stress testing to the maximum possible on the MixPre-6 II.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com