Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modern all-in-one recorder help  (Read 952 times)

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Modern all-in-one recorder help
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 01:20:34 PM »
I own two F3s and almost always run both of them at gigs from different locations. Set them up, turn them on, walk away. Mixing the two recordings is not difficult, just requires some practice and care.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 11:58:38 PM »
So much has changed in the recorder department, I still remember when reliable 4-channel 24/96 was just a pipe dream!

I would listen to as many Sound Devices MixPre samples and Zoom F series samples as possible. Throw in some Sound Devices 700(?) series samples as well.

A few years ago I finally upgraded my home playback to some (semi) serious studio monitors + DAC and it made a huge difference in critical listening for me.

I absolutely am biased, based on my owning (and loving) an F3 and F6, but I did a lot of listening and I preferred the Zoom F series before buying them. The difference is subtle but I liken the Zoom preamps to a V3; clean and transparent. Minimal-to-zero coloring of the sound.

While the MixPre preamps aren't very colored to my ears, they're just SLIGHTLY (I repeat SLIGHTLY) dull. This could be a lack of brightness. It is definitely subtle, but I hear it. I have heard plenty of MixPre recordings that I thought sounded great, and I have no doubt you could make great recordings with them. It's entirely possible the Zoom preamps have just a hair of that classic high-frequency bump (presence) that most people like. I know I like it. The Zoom and SD recorders both have excellent noise performance, see specs. I've only listened to a few of SD 722 samples and I liked them.

It sounds like SD's service is better and I know the MixPre's are engineered VERY well; they're using 3 separate ADC's, set at different gain stages, and the recorder selects the ideal ADC based on the incoming signal level. This applies to 24-bit and 32FP recording mode. The Zoom's use 2 ADC's for a similar feature. Both have proven to be reliable in the field.

32-bit Floating Point (32FP) is a whole other animal; good luck haha. Just know that the main difference is that you do not set your levels when using 32FP. There is not a sonic benefit to using 32FP over 24-bit. IMO, do not fear 32FP. It is super useful when I setup close to the stage/performers and I can hit record well ahead of time and not interfere with the performance while messing with levels. The performers appreciate it and I'm allowed to record a lot of great musicians because they know I stay out of the way. Or hitting record early at a rock show and wandering the venue and enjoying the performance has been priceless for me, I truly tape more now.

If you're only gonna be doing 2 channel work for the forseeable future, I recommend just start out with an F3. Tiny, cheap, simple and sounds great. A tiny 5000mah cellphone battery off Amazon and it will run 10+ hours.

The good news is I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above recorders. We should celebrate so many wonderful options.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:01:14 AM by Chanher »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:34:57 AM »
Thanks all for the ongoing input, I really appreciate it.

As I read feedback in this thread and over here, I'm revising my thoughts on repair service.  It's not so much repair service I value, but the initial durable build quality.  True enough, at my price point it's easy and relatively cheap to replace anything that breaks with another unit.

I admit, I have a mental block about the Zoom offerings and concerns about the quality of the preamps for my unamplified choral recording.  The feedback here and in other threads I've found here and elsewhere should amply dispel those concerns.  I guess at a few years past the half century mark as my brain slowly turns to jello I'm just a bit more comfortable with what I know, which still has me leaning towards SD.  I also find the F3 form factor a little odd, at least with my current bag / setup, whereas the MP3 v1 controls are all easily accessible from one side and within my bag.

I'm amazed at the options available these days, and it seems like I truly can't make a bad decision here!  I've had a couple generous offers for MixPre-3 v1s which I'm currently considering.  Clearly the answer is to pick up the MixPre-3 v1 and get my brother to buy an F3 so we can use both!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com