Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Movo windscreen mod (sawed off shotgun)  (Read 325 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Movo windscreen mod (sawed off shotgun)
« on: February 23, 2024, 11:12:14 AM »
Bought a Movo windscreen a few days ago for use on an AT BP4029 stereo shotgun microphone.  The specific length I wanted was not available, so I purchased one that was a bit longer than needed.  Once it arrived I tried it on the mic and decided it was just too long, as the entire length of the mic fit inside, so.. mod time.  Shortening it was easy and straight forward, and the process is pretty self explanatory in the photos below.  Fidgety-ist part was removing the rubber cuff without destroying it.  That took a bit of careful work with a razor knife as the rubber cuts easily.  But once removed it was simple to re-adhere it in place using some construction adhesive.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

Re: Movo windscreen mod (sawed off shotgun)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 11:19:57 AM »
Some detail photos of the fabric and large-pore foam.  The foam is the same as the inside of the "B.A.S." Shure A81WS.  The fabric is two sided, I think a single knit with different interior and exterior surfaces. The interior side is thinner with a tighter weave. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:21:47 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 11:38:37 AM »
Nice work! Great idea for fitting issues.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks. Much better fitted and proportioned now.

I also bought a furry one from a Movo competitor, which was the correct length without modification.  It appears well constructed with particularly nice feeling fur that seems matt/tangle resistant and resistant to shedding.. and inexpensive at $18.  Movo was $28.  Nice to have a few options to fit various conditions.  I plan to use the Movo in regular use, since I'm already using short Movos on the other mics of the array which I leave in place all the time.  However, I'm thinking the fig-8 Side-channel of the stereo shotgun may require some additional wind protection when it gets gusty.  Will do some fan testing to compare these two, along with the smaller plain foam one that came with the mic and is pictured above, and a much smaller slip-on fur cover that lacks any internal foam so doesn't provide any trapped air space between the mic and fur.

Amazon link to the furry version-
https://www.amazon.com/NTG3-Microphone-Wind-Shield-Microphones/dp/B08H87Y8P4?pd_rd_w=pxbSM&content-id=amzn1.sym.80b2efcb-1985-4e3a-b8e5-050c8b58b7cf&pf_rd_p=80b2efcb-1985-4e3a-b8e5-050c8b58b7cf&pf_rd_r=6M24PNCYGB9P6ACP2J83&pd_rd_wg=xvveQ&pd_rd_r=1fb281ba-d184-4943-8234-75767daad99a&pd_rd_i=B08H87Y8P4&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_t
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 12:42:19 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 03:40:50 PM »
... and I thought sawed-off shotguns were illegal.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 06:03:11 PM »
^ parenthetical clickbait.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com