Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lunatec V3 ADC Upgrade  (Read 1219 times)

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Lunatec V3 ADC Upgrade
« on: June 04, 2024, 01:32:35 PM »
I recently sent in my two Lunatec V3 units to have the ADC's upgraded. The cost was $100 per unit. I sent in the two V2's I own earlier and after they were tuned up I asked if there were any upgrades that Grace does for the V3's that are similar to what Oade Bros was doing. I think they call it a "concert mod". I might be wrong about this but their website says $175 for the upgrade. Anyways I asked Alex Vallejo with Grace to send me specifics on what's being done so that I could share it with all of you fine people.

Hey Brian,

I replaced the AD712s used in the trim/HPF buffer and ADC input buffer with OPA1652 as per Mike's recommendation. I just compared stock unit to modified and distortion + noise is negligible, ~1dB improvement. ADC Dynamic range is 2-3dB better. Is the mod worth it? Guess you'll have to try it out...

:cheers:
Bruel & Kjaer 4011, DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A, MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2), Lunatec V3 (x2), Apogee Mini MP, Apogee Mini Me

Sonic AD2K+ / Mytek Stereo 192

SD 552, SD MixPre 3 I,  SD MixPre 6 I, SD 722, Edirol R44

Teddy Gak XLR's Audio Magic Sorcerer, Audio Magic Hyperconductor

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: Lunatec V3 ADC Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 02:44:45 PM »
Thanks.  My understanding was that the Ode mod replaced the ADC chip, but maybe it replaced those same buffers.  Anyone know the specifics?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 04:44:14 PM »
Well shit..........you want to buy another V3 let me know. Coax / optical mod.

Steve

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 05:42:07 PM »
If it helps, the OADE ACM mod affects the digital out only leaving the analog out unchanged. Whenever I have an extra channel I run both outs so I have a lot of examples if you need any.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=79244.0;all

I haven't found a mod of anything I like as much as this, but its a giant heavy piece of kit for 2024.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 08:27:11 PM »
I replaced the AD712s used in the trim/HPF buffer and ADC input buffer with OPA1652 as per Mike's recommendation. I just compared stock unit to modified and distortion + noise is negligible, ~1dB improvement. ADC Dynamic range is 2-3dB better. Is the mod worth it? Guess you'll have to try it out...

Thanks for sharing, Brian.

In my stock version, I see three AD712s and one PCM1804 (a 24bit/192kHz stereo AD converter). According to this link, the AD712 is an op amp. Was the AD chip left unchanged?

Does anyone know which chips get replaced by Doug?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
pcm-d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 02:40:10 PM »
I didn't see this upgrade mentioned anywhere on gracedesign.com; does anyone have a link to where it's described?
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 10:30:55 AM »
Not a much info on it, but here is a link to the page on it at the Oade Brothers Audio website- https://www.oade.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=96
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com