Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 95532 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2020, 06:42:19 AM »
So I just picked up a brand new DR-70d at 1/2 price.  Been running a DR-60dmkII for 3 years but for the price decided to grab it for the 4 XLR inputs and phantom power.   So I went to look for an approved card and I saw that Tascam has just updated their list on 09/15/2020 with new Sony and Toshiba 32, 64, and 128GB cards.   Figured I'd pass it along:

https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

That gave me reason to update the DR-70D FAQ for the first time in two years.  Thanks!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »
^ lol, before I saw your post I was thinking, "gee, I hope Volt updates the FAQ".  And I don't even own the DR70 anymore. Solid commitment!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »
So I just picked up a brand new DR-70d at 1/2 price.  Been running a DR-60dmkII for 3 years but for the price decided to grab it for the 4 XLR inputs and phantom power.   So I went to look for an approved card and I saw that Tascam has just updated their list on 09/15/2020 with new Sony and Toshiba 32, 64, and 128GB cards.   Figured I'd pass it along:

https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

That gave me reason to update the DR-70D FAQ for the first time in two years.  Thanks!

Glad to bring a "dead" topic back to life with some actual relevant content!  haha.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline voltronic

« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:08 AM »
^ lol, before I saw your post I was thinking, "gee, I hope Volt updates the FAQ".  And I don't even own the DR70 anymore. Solid commitment!

I sold mine a long time ago as well.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
I sold mine a long time ago as well.
I bought a Sound Devices MixPre6 to replace the DR70D, but the sound devices branded cards failed in it a couple times.
Now I use the Tascam WHEN I NEED A RELIABLE DECK and don't require all 6 inputs.
The irony is NOT lost on me.
 :smash: :smash: :smash:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
A bit OT, but Tascam posted about dr70d on phasebook, where I dropped a reaction when they’ll release 32bit float gear.
Response: “in the very near future”

Interesting, fwiw.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2020, 02:10:27 AM »
Would you look at that! I love this little thing and will pick up another card.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:54 AM »
can you post the files somewhere so we can take a look at it? like wetransfer?

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2021, 12:08:03 AM »
A bit OT, but Tascam posted about dr70d on phasebook, where I dropped a reaction when they’ll release 32bit float gear.
Response: “in the very near future”

Interesting, fwiw.

WOW!!! :-o

Maybe Tascam isn't totally dead, or at least AWOL, after all.

Offline Charliebrm

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
I found myself back at Taperssection for information on other matters and popped in to the DR-70D thread in case I missed anything. I wasn't a registered user until yesterday.
For the record I live in Ontario, Canada. I bought a DR-40 in 2016 as the affordable unit to at least get me portable to record mostly acoustic electric performers in a small restaurant; not for much else at the time but my ambition has always been to include video work and I've never been satisfied with built in mics and boom mics are either outrageously priced or low priced bad jokes. I kept my eyes out for a DR-60D, but then coveted the DR-70D for the extra channels and the much superior IMO form factor and interface.

In 2019 I scored a DR-70D for C$100 including a one year warranty - essentially new - returned after one week by a store's regular reliable customer as not suitable for him. The timing was perfect to quick flip an open box item in their annual sale so they listed it for only $100 and I was third in line at the door in the morning and snatched it up. Happy Happy, I keep reminding myself when I use it "100 bucks!"

So thanks to all for keeping the topic alive. Any experiences with using plug in power lavalier microphones through the XLR inputs would be useful. I don't see much chat about using the Rode VXLR Pro adapter for that. Also I don't mind soldering up my own mini-box contrivances to get it done. The one 3.5mm input on the side will be limiting for my aims but I'll start there.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »
Any experiences with using plug in power lavalier microphones through the XLR inputs would be useful. I don't see much chat about using the Rode VXLR Pro adapter for that. Also I don't mind soldering up my own mini-box contrivances to get it done. The one 3.5mm input on the side will be limiting for my aims but I'll start there.

Hello and welcome! Like many other consumer / prosumer-grade devices, the supply voltage is going to be really low on that input, as I suspect you know. I still had my DR-70D when I picked up my DPA 4061s, but Jon at Naiant studio made me a custom set of PFAs to supply 8V to the 4061s via the XLR inputs. Jon's work is highly regarded here, and he will work with you to find whatever solution you need.

I don't know what mics you are using, but I see the VXLR Pro only supplies 4V. That hardly seems worth spending any money on when the DR-70D supplies somewhere around 3V (I'm not 100% on that). If that's all your mics are spec'd for, then just stick with the built-in. Otherwise, I recommend the PFA / Naiant route.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:02 PM »
Summer 2021 update on my DR70D that I bought in June off ebay for $179

Very pleased. I've put it through it's paces and it has exceeded it's price point. Best suited for people wanting to experiment with 4 channel mic / sbd+aud without having to delve into serious $$.

It came with the latest firmware installed (1.15) and an old class 4 32gig Sandisk SD card. I did about 4 aud + sbd mixes at 24/48 and another 3 shows of 2 channel at853Rx hypers > at8533x  > XLR 24/96 with no errors. Long sets recording multiple bands and it went well.

I got a bigger card off the Tascam media list: SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I off amazon.
I 've done 4 living room recordings 4 channels at 24/96, about 7 hours long, with no errors. Just did a weekend of local shows and some onstage jazz groups and they went well.

Observations:
-Very small.
-It didn't take me too long to figure out the menu/settings but it was a bit redundant and had some poorly named settings. Expect to spend a little time checking the actual manual. After a couple living room tests and 10 minutes actually studying the manual I felt comfortable.
-Preamps sounds good, no more no less.
-USB power is great. Doesn't draw too much power (expect 4 channels w phantom to draw more). I recommend a right angle micro USB charging cable on both ends.
-Right angle XLR stubby cables are good too.
-Being able to only see all 4 levels at once (and not monitor the stereo feeds independently) worked fine for me. YMMV.
-The XLR/TRS combo jacks are great.
-I'm now a fan of hypers indoors. at853Rx hypers > XLR DR70D is a small, versatile, budget friendly rig that made some shithole clubs a little more tolerable recording wise. Throw in the ability to grab a quick board patch if it's available, :coolguy:

Cons:
-Menu setup/settings not the best (see above) but not the worst IMO.
-Having XLR inputs 3 and 4 physically split on different sides of the recorder is wonky af. I had to spend an hour carving out a little custom foam pad/stilt so the stubby XLR's I already had wouldn't be strained when sitting in a Lowepro.
-Can't MONITOR channels 1+2 and 3+4 independently through headphone jack. You have to listen to the mix of everything when monitoring from the actual deck itself.
-Only being able to assign the 1/8 stereo input to channels 1+2. Means you have to use the wonky 3+4 if you use the mini plug input for a sbd patch or external pre.

It sounds like there's plenty of cases of recording errors when this unit was first released. Sounds like Tascam did a crappy job with both the release and handling of errors. While I can't say for certain if they're completely fixed, there appears to be a step in the right direction. Update to the latest firmware and stick to the Tascam media list.

Tips:
-Put together a little baggy of adapters for SBD patches. I've literally already encountered 4 different scenarios: XLR, 1/4, 1/8 headphone, and rca. This unit has a 1/8 stereo input but it runs hotter than the XLR/TRS inputs IMO and resulted in 1 sbd patch with some unavoidable clipping. (2x) Right angle 1/4 > female RCA has been my favorite since I have a super long rca cable I usually keep in my trunk.
-A little mastering on the sbd feed helps a lot IMO. VERY subtle reverb keeps it from being so dry. Expect a lot of vocal heavy mixes from your sbd patch and a little compression can help even that out a little. If the sbd feed is vocal heavy, don't mix it in too much. Just enough to sharpen up the vocals, you don't want the vocals louder than the other instruments.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:59:56 AM by Chanher »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2021, 12:11:47 AM »
Definitely agree. I have two. Highly recommended. As stated above, it is definitely small. I can run the two of them with my UA-5 and MixPre in a bag with no issues. Cheap enough that you can spend that extra cash on outboard gear if so desired. In terms of gain, I have run dynamics and a ribbon (-52 and -60 sensitivity) with no issue on the mid-level setting. Will get you right at -12.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2021, 02:48:35 AM »
It sounds like there's plenty of cases of recording errors when this unit was first released. Sounds like Tascam did a crappy job with both the release and handling of errors. While I can't say for certain if they're completely fixed, there appears to be a step in the right direction. Update to the latest firmware and stick to the Tascam media list.
Great observations and great tips.
 :cheers:
With regard to us ever being certain that the modern firmware/approved card formation will work- Tascam never actually admitted there was an issue (none of the firmware update notes specifically address it) so they never claimed to fix or not fix it, but the problem sure seems to be a thing of the past!!!!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2021, 08:57:39 AM »
Pulling My DR-70D out of storage for some 4 track work this weekend.

Do you guys usually set the internal Gains to L or M ? Will be using it at 2 outdoor shows, set at M for now......it's been awhile with this guy.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com