Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on stage taping...( schleigho )  (Read 1765 times)

Offline pnobles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ME !
on stage taping...( schleigho )
« on: April 09, 2004, 09:57:07 AM »
well if any of you guys have heard schleioho, they are coming to town tomorrow and my roomates band is opening.  they are playing a bar and my roomates band has gigs there 2 times a month.  I usually tape my roomates band ( w/ vocals ) from stage lip.  For schleigho ( no vocals ) i was going to run onstage.  long story short - whats ideal for onstage taping?  any one ever tape them on stage before? thanks
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re:on stage taping...( schleigho )
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 10:01:30 AM »
havent seen them since the lineup change a few years ago.

if there are any horns or keys, onstage may not be the best option, especially any instrument that uses a direct-out to the sbd (in lieu of a on-stage amp)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 10:33:24 AM »
Why don't  you run a matrix from your ua-5?  You can determine by your mix/mic placement if it sounds more aud or sbd.  This will allow you to get all the center tones that are hot in the sbd and the things that are more ambient with the mics.  I recently did a local latin/jazz/fusion band (with a little 10 chan mixer) and it sounded great!  I mic'd the rear of the stage and was able to pick up a lot of the percussion that would have been missed on the sbd, and the clarity of the keys and guitar that dominated the sbd mix.  Using rear stage will get you less ambiance, but a very nice, although very SBDish recording.  You should get great results micing the front lip as usual and then you could get a much more AUDish recording.  If you know the sound guy, or if he is just not a dick, he should let you run your mics off his snakes from the stage back to the sbd.  Nickgregory just did a matrix with his mics at the sbd 25-30 ft back from the stage and it sounded very good without using any delay.  He was heavier on the mics and it sounded like a very detailed aud recording.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline pnobles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »
thanks for the word.  i actually dont run a UA-5 anymore.  i have a mp-2 and a SBM-1.   I dont think there are horns.  from what i hear ORTF DFC on stage might be the way.  i'll let you know how it goes.  cheers
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 03:38:04 AM »
last time i caught them there was a flute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com