Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Linux Live CD for Turnkey Recording?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
Linux Live CD for Turnkey Recording?
« on: May 04, 2004, 02:57:21 PM »
Hey all, I have been downloading lots of Linux Live CDs lately and just came across a live cd that boots only into MAME (an arcade emulator). Would it be possible to make a bootable cd that only boots up with audacity or some other recording software? You could then optimize it for battery life and include lots of drivers for different usb, firewire and pcmcia audio devices? Is there anything like this now? I'd love to try it on my iBook. I have seen a site for making your own live cd, but I am assuming it would be difficult to do unless you have some programming skills. Thanks for any comments.

-Bob

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re:Linux Live CD for Turnkey Recording?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 03:06:08 PM »
the problem is the audio hardware drivers. most manufacturers dont write linux drivers, and they dont release the necessary specs for linux groups to write the drivers.

take the M-Audio Audiophile for example. yes, it CAN work under linux(after much work) but the s/pdif I/O will NOT work.period.

as far as higher-end interfaces, RME is the only company I know of that has full working linux drivers, but they only work with Ardour which is still a "alpha" application.

things are getting better now that ALSA is officially part of the kernel, but it still is going to require time and manufacturer support to get the proper drivers written

the water's clean and innocent

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 09:13:12 PM »
i believe there is a place online that has linux drivers for the m-audio soundcards although it costs $30.

edit:  found it.   http://www.opensound.com/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 09:14:50 PM by chase »

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 03:01:03 PM »
^ hmmm, you might run into problems as OSS was replaced by ALSA recently.
I've stopped trying to figure out Linux audio so maybe ALSA can use OSS drivers now...last year it couldn't

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com