Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer Advice  (Read 2697 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Computer Advice
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:14:25 PM »
Our desktop keeps locking up or randomly restarting (as if the reset button was pushed) and it's not the Sasser worm. I rebuilt the thing out of old Dell parts and a PowerLeap Socket A processor kit. My guess is the power supply is worn out, but I don't really know. A couple of times it hasn't recognized the HD or CDRW in the bios and won't boot into XP. Any ideas of how to check or what else to look for?

I'm also thinking it may be time to say forget it and just buy a newer one. I don't have any problems building from parts (might actually be ideal since I own XP, just bought a new hard drive, cdrw, PCI video card and PCI firewire card). But it's been a while and I don't know who good vendors are anymore. Experience has also shown me that sometimes it's better off just buying a prebuilt like a Dell or a Sony. I'd like to keep it at $300 for the tower, but could go $600 if I could get a decent flat panel monitor out of it. BTW I'm not looking to make an audio workstation. Any advice would be appreciated. If this is way off topic, PM me and I'll delete the thread.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 07:17:23 PM by jmwils »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Computer Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 07:20:42 PM »
my advice- if you need parts or even cheap prebuilts go to www.compgeeks.com

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:55:19 AM »
Get parts from Newegg.com.  Best.  Site.  Ever. ;D

And unless you absolutely require a 3 year warranty (i.e. you don't know a thing about computers), it's always better to build it yourself.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 05:35:33 AM »
I had this same problem a few weeks ago.

Start the computer, immediately hold down F8
Go into Safe mode.
After windows loads, Restore back to a point you know when the computer was working fine.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:32:20 PM »
I got an error report from XP that says my CPU is causing failures. It's a 1.4 Celeron on a slocket to fit in a Socket A that only supports up to a P3 800. Not surprising I guess. I could get a new Dell 2.6 GHz off Ebay for $350 shipped or a board, CPU, memory and case for a little less off NewEgg. Thanks for all the help. +Ts
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:04:15 PM »
When I first read your problem I was thinking the case was getting too hot and causing random reboots.  Dunno if a couple fans would enable your processor to work better or if there really is an incompatibility issue....  Good luck!

I agree with the newegg.com recommendation.  Pricewatch.com has cheap deals, but there are many *shady* vendors there.  If you're thinking of buying anything online, read the company's review at http://www.resellerratings.com  New Egg has over 6700 reviews which average 9.78 out of 10!!!
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 02:52:51 PM »
When I first read your problem I was thinking the case was getting too hot and causing random reboots.  Dunno if a couple fans would enable your processor to work better or if there really is an incompatibility issue....  Good luck!

This is most likely your problem, make sure it has a heatsink and fan installed with thermal grease between the processer and heat sink.  Thats a cheap solution if those are not there or the fan is busted, it will restart and things will go haywire.  However if this isnt the case then your motherboard might be fried, as it appears this problem is rooted in the bios
mics & cameras

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 06:50:08 PM »
I got an error report from XP that says my CPU is causing failures. It's a 1.4 Celeron on a slocket to fit in a Socket A that only supports up to a P3 800. Not surprising I guess. I could get a new Dell 2.6 GHz off Ebay for $350 shipped or a board, CPU, memory and case for a little less off NewEgg. Thanks for all the help. +Ts

I was getting the same error messages, try doing what I said.  Restore back to a point you know your computer worked fine.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 01:01:03 PM »
The processor actually came as a kit with the slocket, heat sink and fan from Powerleap. The fan on it and the computer both appear to be working. I tried the F8 safe mode restore and will see how it runs over the next few weeks. I looked into Newegg and realized that is where I bought my first Plextor drive. If the computer starts crashing again, I think I'll get an ASUS board, CPU, memory, and case from them. They have free shipping on everything but the case.

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »
The processor actually came as a kit with the slocket, heat sink and fan from Powerleap. The fan on it and the computer both appear to be working. I tried the F8 safe mode restore and will see how it runs over the next few weeks. I looked into Newegg and realized that is where I bought my first Plextor drive. If the computer starts crashing again, I think I'll get an ASUS board, CPU, memory, and case from them. They have free shipping on everything but the case.

Do you have a working case fan as well?  
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com