Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Min. Requirements for 24bit laptop recording?  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Min. Requirements for 24bit laptop recording?
« on: June 10, 2004, 03:20:03 PM »
I’m looking to get into 24bit recording. It looks like you can get some good deals on laptops on ebay. Can anyone suggest recommended basic requirements I should look for in PC laptop?

i.e Processor, RAM, HD….etc

Thanks!
Retired Taper

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
Re: Min. Requirements for 24bit laptop recording?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:38:33 PM »
http://www.24bitfaq.org/

a little dated but a good read

d
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:49:44 PM »
So any 1+ GHz, 256MB RAM and 10+ GB laptop should be fine then? That should be easy enough to find. I guess battery power is the only other issue.

So what are some good websites to buy used/refurbished laptops?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:10:51 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 07:07:26 PM »
I hear Dells will give you a glitch in your recording whenever the lid is opened/closed. I tape successfully using a Celeron 400Mhz w/192MB RAM and a 6GB hard drive. Its all in how you tweak the OS.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 05:15:12 PM »
Rick-

IMO (i don't know a lot about computers outside of recording) you should look for something with maximum RAM and at least 30GB of memory.  You want something that is fast with plenty of room to store your recordings.  You do not want to have to delete a show to make room.  Also the smaller the better.  I use a fujitsu lifebook....it is very small and has been very reliable. 

As far as batteries go check out electrovaya power pads.  They work with any laptop and are exceptional.  I get 10 hours with the lid open of recording time with the 120.  Electrovaya also makes a 160 that will give longer record times.  Check for them on ebay..a bit pricey but worth every penny. Also make sure you get the right one (120A, 120B...ect) to go with your laptop.

One more thing to consider is your pre/ad.  You will need something that will produce a 24/96 or 24/48 signal. This includes Mini-Me, UA5(cheapest) and the V3.  With the V3 you will need to get something to go from coax to USB or better yet firewire. 

Also you will need a recording program.  I like Wavelab since it does a seemless split after you have recorded 2.0 gb of music.

I LOVE recording to laptop.  It is super easy once you get the bugs worked out, and NO transfers.  Just plug into your stereo or heaphones and add the trackmarks.  Too easy.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 07:22:21 PM »
>>So any 1+ GHz, 256MB RAM and 10+ GB laptop should be fine then?<<

half that speed should be fine

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 07:34:16 PM »
>>So any 1+ GHz, 256MB RAM and 10+ GB laptop should be fine then?<<

half that speed should be fine

This is true. But I wish I had started with at least 800mHz processor. That way I could use an external DVD drive to burn right to DVD-A (with the proper software). This would have saved me even more time ;)
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 10:05:39 PM »
Rick-

IMO (i don't know a lot about computers outside of recording) you should look for something with maximum RAM and at least 30GB of memory.  You want something that is fast with plenty of room to store your recordings.  You do not want to have to delete a show to make room.  Also the smaller the better.  I use a fujitsu lifebook....it is very small and has been very reliable. 

As far as batteries go check out electrovaya power pads.  They work with any laptop and are exceptional.  I get 10 hours with the lid open of recording time with the 120.  Electrovaya also makes a 160 that will give longer record times.  Check for them on ebay..a bit pricey but worth every penny. Also make sure you get the right one (120A, 120B...ect) to go with your laptop.

One more thing to consider is your pre/ad.  You will need something that will produce a 24/96 or 24/48 signal. This includes Mini-Me, UA5(cheapest) and the V3.  With the V3 you will need to get something to go from coax to USB or better yet firewire. 

Also you will need a recording program.  I like Wavelab since it does a seemless split after you have recorded 2.0 gb of music.

I LOVE recording to laptop.  It is super easy once you get the bugs worked out, and NO transfers.  Just plug into your stereo or heaphones and add the trackmarks.  Too easy.

Thanks for the info, I allready have the UA-5 so I'm on the way.
Retired Taper

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 09:21:55 AM »
im using a picturebook with 15gig HD and 677mhz, and 128mb ram with zero problems except through usb, and i think that was user error

im doing 24/96 via firewire, and had zero problems doing 24/48 via a vx pocket

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 11:04:29 AM »
im using a picturebook with 15gig HD and 677mhz, and 128mb ram with zero problems except through usb, and i think that was user error

Idealy I'd like to get one of those. Seems like they sell for alot more then a similar speed computer though.

Anyone thinking about selling one  :D
Retired Taper

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 01:06:31 AM »
the picturebook processors are a little different though

the crusoe processors (mostly and only in picturebooks???) are maybe the best ever made for battery life and such

ive heard alot of people say they had the 600-667mhz picturebooks and they were faster than the higher mhz machines, both having the same ram, im not sure exactly why

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 01:07:55 AM »

Idealy I'd like to get one of those. Seems like they sell for alot more then a similar speed computer though.

il possibly have one for sale end of the month. looking at either a new desktop or laptop to replace the ones i have. ideallys its gonna be a nice mac laptop

i have one all set up with dual boot, and a really nice external power pack that was cuystom made

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 03:23:51 AM »
You might want to track down Jamie Lutch - he posted his recently.  All kinds of nice homemade power devices as well.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 08:42:25 AM »
the crusoe processors (mostly and only in picturebooks???) are maybe the best ever made for battery life and such

*cough*G3*cough*

;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »

il possibly have one for sale end of the month. looking at either a new desktop or laptop to replace the ones i have. ideallys its gonna be a nice mac laptop

i have one all set up with dual boot, and a really nice external power pack that was cuystom made

Well please let me know if you do decide to sell it!
Retired Taper

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004, 11:24:35 PM »
il know right around the last part of the month, and the way im leaning now is to sell it and get a new powerbook

cant beat a zero interest loan from work to get a new laptop!

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 12:25:22 PM »
What about iBooks? Are the requirements about the same?
Retired Taper

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 01:17:01 PM »
I've done 24 bit on an iBook 500, and I know others who use the old clamshell iBooks.  Basically any iBook would work. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 03:46:30 PM »
Cool! When then its an iBook or Picturebook then  :D
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com