Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Splitting tracks with Audacity  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Splitting tracks with Audacity
« on: December 13, 2004, 04:51:13 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed.  I did a search but nothing came up.  So I'm posting this hoping it will be helpful or maybe someone can offer a better idea.

The problem I had is splitting the highres and lowres files in identical places efficiently.  I want to record in higher resolution and write audio DVDs and also CDDAs for the car and to circulate.  I wanted to split both in exactly the same place.

What I worked out is:

- resample/dither the highres file to 44.1/16
- load the 44.1/16 file into audacity and mark the set using a label track and labels.
- export the label track
- save multiple split on labels

this produces the track files for CDDA burning.  By doing the 44.1/16 track files first, the boundaries are assured to mate with the sector boundaries for the CDDA burn. 

next:
- load the original high res file into audacity
- import the label track from the previous operation
- save multiple split on labels

this produces the high res track files broken on the same time boundaries as the CDDA tracks. 

Anyone have a better way of doing this or know how this can be made more efficient?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: Splitting tracks with Audacity
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
why not just use CD Wave for splitting both files...

start with the low-res.  split the tracks as you normally would in CD Wave (it always splits on sector boundaries, so no worries there).  after you save all the tracks, save the .cue file.  then open up the hi-res file.  then go load up the .cue sheet you just saved.  it will then ask you if you want to open up the original file associated with the .cue sheet.  hit NO, because you don't want to open up the 16/44.1 version, you want to apply the .cue sheet to the hi-res file.  and bam, you're done, just save the new tracks and you're good to know.

this is how I do it, and it's fast and easy.  let me know if I should be more specific, or if you're unsure of anything I just said...

- Jason

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Splitting tracks with Audacity
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 08:53:57 PM »
why not just use CD Wave for splitting both files...

- Jason

I don't do my audio work on a windows machine and I don't know of a version of CD Wave that runs on Linux.  It sounds like I'm basicly doing the exact same thing as you describe with CD Wave.  So cool, maybe this is as easy as it gets.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com