Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dithering software  (Read 4970 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Dithering software
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »
A friend uses wavelab for dithering from 24/192 to 16/44.1 and I like his results, but this software is expensive. Can anyone recommend good inexpensive software for dithering? I now do only 24/48. I have an ancient version of SoundForge and CD Architect for editing - one of them downsamples, but I don't like the results.

thanks, Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Dithering software
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »
Audacity is free.  It's okay.

I really like Samplitude SE v8 ($50).  Very powerful object-oriented editing tool.  IME, has a slightly higher learning curve than WaveLab, Audacity, Audition, or SoundForge, but well worth the bit of extra effort.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:51:28 AM »
Audacity is free.  It's okay.

I really like Samplitude SE v8 ($50).  Very powerful object-oriented editing tool.  IME, has a slightly higher learning curve than WaveLab, Audacity, Audition, or SoundForge, but well worth the bit of extra effort.

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I have a computer dedicated to only music editing and I don't want to connect it to the internet (I’m fed up with all the malware wars), so I need software that is not "down-load" only.

thanks, Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I have a computer dedicated to only music editing and I don't want to connect it to the internet (I’m fed up with all the malware wars), so I need software that is not "down-load" only.

You could always download on another computer, burn to CD, and then load onto your audio workstation.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »

You could always download on another computer, burn to CD, and then load onto your audio workstation.

I tried to download a few programs to the external drive with the other, internet-connected computer, but they still ended up in “programs” in the C drive.

I was never able to copy a program into a CD. I thought that was impossible. How do I do that? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »
After purchasing and downloading Samplitude SE v8 (or after downloading the demo), you'll have a file on your internet-connected computer like:  samplitude811_demo_us.exe.  Simply copy that file to your DAW (whether across a network or by burning to CD), double-click, and the program will install on your DAW.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:51:59 AM »
After purchasing and downloading Samplitude SE v8 (or after downloading the demo), you'll have a file on your internet-connected computer like:  samplitude811_demo_us.exe.  Simply copy that file to your DAW (whether across a network or by burning to CD), double-click, and the program will install on your DAW.

thanks a lot,

Noam

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 07:02:27 AM »
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

seemes to be preferred by many tapers and user friendly.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

seemes to be preferred by many tapers and user friendly.

It sure looks promising, free software that does only resampling, that's exactly what I've been looking for. I thought it's a waste of money to pay for all the features in wavelab that I don't need.

Anyone else has experience with this? I found that with wavelab the dithered files on CD are usually (but not always) indistinguishable from the DVD-A’s of the same files (unconverted) - they retain the warmth and detail 4 times out of 5, and when there is a difference it's very subtle. With CD Architect 5.0 the sound on the dithered files loses its warmth, its glow. This refers to recordings from large concert halls and opera houses, so I wonder if anyone has any observations about this software with acoustic music taped with high end stealth rig.

thanks, noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:48 PM »
I've used R8Brain for resampling.  Works great and sounds good.  But I personally prefer dithering through Samplitude.  And I also have use for the additional (but not all) feature sets it includes.  So at $50 Samplitude SE was a no brainer for me.  But if R8Brain suits your needs, go for it.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
platform independent, use really should read up on uv22hr, as a dithering equation.  it is supported in wavelab and sf8 (i think sf8), but it is the same algorithm that apogee uses in it's A>D converter.  i REALLY like it over the default dithering algorithm in either cdwave/audacity, etc.

from the apogee website:

UV22HR, the basics:

* The UV22HR algorithm essentially modulates the data from the least significant bits of a signal to the 16-bit signal.
    * UV22HR adds an inaudible high-frequency ‘bias’ to the digital bit stream, placing a ‘clump’ of energy at around 22 kHz (above the upper limit of human hearing)
    * UV22HR provides the benefits of normal dither (eliminatingquantization distortion and smoothing out the signal) without adding to the effective noise floor.
    * UV22HR allows the listener to hear coherent audio signals several dB below the 16-bit noise "floor" – just like analog!
    * A recent survey indicates that 8out of 10 of the major mastering studios in the U.S. used UV22HR on at least 80% of their projects.

Truncation (unacceptable):
literally chopping off the bits between 24 and 16

Conventional Dither (good):
some of the 24 bit recorded detail is lost in noise

UV22HR (exceptional):
most of the original 24bit signal is maintained

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 08:33:22 PM »
platform independent, use really should read up on uv22hr, as a dithering equation.  it is supported in wavelab and sf8 (i think sf8), but it is the same algorithm that apogee uses in it's A>D converter.  i REALLY like it over the default dithering algorithm in either cdwave/audacity, etc.

Keep in mind, though, the original poster seeks "inexpensive" dithering software.  WaveLab and SoundForge are hardly inexpensive.  There's no question the dithering algos in CD-Wave and Audacity leave a lot to be desired.  But the stock dither algo in Samplitude SE is quite good.  And for an additional $250 on top of the $50 Samplitude SE license, I could get the iZotope Ozone plug-in with MegaBitMax (MBIT+).  SE plus MBIT+ sounds better to my ears, and costs less, than WL and SF.

Offline barren4

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG c480b/ck61,62,63,c414b-uls,c426b>V3>SD 722
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
Brian are you, in your opinion, getting better sounding dithered material with samplitude than you were getting with audition?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
Brian are you, in your opinion, getting better sounding dithered material with samplitude than you were getting with audition?

To be honest, I've not done any direct comparisons between Samplitude SE and Audition.  Off the top of my head and with my fuzzy recollection, I've not noticed a significant difference as I have with Audition or Samplitude v. Audacity.  The real reasons that drove my switch from Audition to Samplitude:

• object-oriented editing in Samp
  • workflow
  • speed
  • price (I had an old version of Audition and didn't want to pay the IMO high upgrade fee)

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 06:18:43 PM »

UV22HR (exceptional):
most of the original 24bit signal is maintained

Is it true that the UV22HR is available as a plugin for other programs, and if so which programs?

Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »
Is it true that the UV22HR is available as a plugin for other programs, and if so which programs?

I found it's typically licensed and packaged with specific programs (like WaveLab), as a "built-in" plugin, and not easily accessible as a free-floating plug-in for any program that supports VST or Direct-X plugins.

I performed a dither comparison a while ago, covering a slew of software options.  I just now added Samplitude to the list and haven't re-performed my critical listening to leave additional feedback.  Not lots of feedback from fellow TSers, but you can get the most important feedback by listening yourself:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51478.0.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com