Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD Drive & Data Discs...PLEASE HELP  (Read 3372 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
DVD Drive & Data Discs...PLEASE HELP
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
I'm having problems with my DVD drive recognizing data DVD's. Here's the deal:

I have been archiving all my recordings onto 2 types of TY Data Discs: 1.) silver/thermal printable 2.) white/inkjet printable. **I'm not sure if if they are either DVD+ or -R**

I have been burning them using Nero 6. Every data disc have been burned @ 8x and all verified successfully after burning.

I am trying to open both types of discs using the same DVD drive they were originally written on. For some strange reason only the white/inkjet ones open and allow me to access the data. The silver/thermal discs cannot be recognized by the DVD drive. Instead, nero automatically opens and the CPU treats the DVD like it is blank. If I go to My CPU and click on the properties for these discs it shows 0 bytes. I know these discs have data written on them. I just can't access it b/c my DVD drive won't recognize the disc.

I'm worried one type of disc is a -R while the other is a +R, and my DVD drive is having a hard time recognizing one particular type of disc. I am going to bring a couple of the unreadable discs to work and see if they can be recognized by that CPU.

***Let me stress that these unreadable discs are my master recordings***
I'm getting a little bugged out here  :-\

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to have my CPU recognize these discs? I have multiple copies of each show on the unreadable discs, so if I can't get this particular type of disc to work about 50 recordings are gone.

The DVD drive was able to read them in the past, b/c when I first started to archive these recordings I checked many discs just to make sure they burned properly. This one has me scratching my head...

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
Re: DVD Drive & Data Discs...PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
well i got to work and tried the unreadable discs in my work CPU and they work fine. so that is a huge relief. now i just have to figure out how to get the dvd drive at home to read them. any suggestions on maybe a setting i can change or something?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »
From your description it sounds like the laser is getting weak. May be time to just replace the drive.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:26 AM »
From your description it sounds like the laser is getting weak. May be time to just replace the drive.

i doubt it b/c it's about a year old and like i said the other type of discs work fine. i noticed the drive having initial problems reading these silver TY dvd discs, which is one reason why i switched. i guess it's a possibility though

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
I agree, sounds like your drive is on its way out....or your drive just doesn't like that particular type of disc.

I just picked up a pretty nice LG SATA lightscribe drive from Best Buy for $50.  I've burned quite a few CD/DVDs and it works like a champ.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
What you desribe sounds like what one of my old cd burners did before it died. I first noticed it was taking longer and longer for the power calibration before it would start burning, then it got to where I couldn't read a disc that had just been burned. Replaced the burner and those discs I couldn't read were readable.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:32:03 AM »
What you desribe sounds like what one of my old cd burners did before it died. I first noticed it was taking longer and longer for the power calibration before it would start burning, then it got to where I couldn't read a disc that had just been burned. Replaced the burner and those discs I couldn't read were readable.

thanks for the advise guys. +T
i guess i have used ALOT this year. fwiw it's a NEC drive. i'd like to avoid buying another, but if gets worse i may have to.
i guess there really isn't anyway to test the laser?

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:58 AM »

thanks for the advise guys. +T
i guess i have used ALOT this year. fwiw it's a NEC drive. i'd like to avoid buying another, but if gets worse i may have to.

exact same thing happened to my NEC drive.  took it two and half years of heavy use though.   it still burns fine but can't read well.  buy a new burner.  they are only $30
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
Had to warranty two NEC 3550s. First one was DOA. Silica gel packet had ruptured in the box and the pellets had gotten in the drive, drawer wouldn't even open. Second one lasted three weeks and it let the smoke out so I warranteed that one also. The replacement is still going strong a year later but while i was waiting for that one to arrive, I bought a Plextor since I had had such good luck with their cd burners. The one I mentioned above that had the laser problems had burned well over 12K discs in six years. I must also add that newegg warranteed both NECs without batting an eyelash, the second one they even cross-shipped. As soon as I emailed them the tracking number of the unit headed back to them, they put a label on the replacement and had a tracking number to me in less than 30 minutes. Gotta give them a +T on great customer service.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »
Had to warranty two NEC 3550s. First one was DOA. Silica gel packet had ruptured in the box and the pellets had gotten in the drive, drawer wouldn't even open. Second one lasted three weeks and it let the smoke out so I warranteed that one also. The replacement is still going strong a year later but while i was waiting for that one to arrive, I bought a Plextor since I had had such good luck with their cd burners. The one I mentioned above that had the laser problems had burned well over 12K discs in six years. I must also add that newegg warranteed both NECs without batting an eyelash, the second one they even cross-shipped. As soon as I emailed them the tracking number of the unit headed back to them, they put a label on the replacement and had a tracking number to me in less than 30 minutes. Gotta give them a +T on great customer service.

i purchased mine from newegg too. i totally agree: top notch

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
If youre looking for a rock solid burner get a plextor.  I've got one that is at least 6 years old and its a little slower then all the new drives out now it still makes perfect discs.  I can say that I've burned 3-4k discs over the years and can count on a single hand how many coasters its produced.

www.cdfreaks.com will have more info on every cd/dvd burner then you can shake a stick at.  Im pretty sure the LG drive that I just picked up got pretty good ratings.  I still use my plextor drive to burn CDs but use the LG for DVD burning and lightscribe labels.  If you have never checked out lightscribe its pretty sweet.  It does take a little time to do a full disc but you don't have to worry about the sticker labels peeling off or any of that.  The discs are pretty cheap too..I think I get 100 CDs for $38.00 shipped from supermediastore.com
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »
TJ, my external dvd burner does this sometimes with discs it burns. I have a dedicated dvd-rom thats reads all of the dvd's and does a fine job of it. just get a dedicated dvd-rom for reading discs, and let the dvd burner be your dedicated burner :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 09:53:39 PM »
i second the plextor drives. i borrowered one from a board member, and didnt want to give it back. finally i did and bought another updated version and glad i did. i got an external usb2 & firewire that i can swap with all my computers if i need too.  turn it on when i need it, power down when i dont. only complaint is when its on it is a bit on the noisy side. 
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com