Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lowering vocals from SBD recording? HELP!  (Read 1231 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Lowering vocals from SBD recording? HELP!
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:21:56 AM »
I got a great soundboard recording at a local club, and as expected the vocals are high. However, I didn't know it was going to be this high. It's almost unbearable to listen. Any way to work some wonders and lower them with Adobe Audition 2.0? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
Re: Lowering vocals from SBD recording? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
Generally, you are screwed. Most soundboard patches you get outside of a large arena are going to sound that way if you're taping a louder band (unless you get a special mix from the sound guy or know how to run multi-tracks).

You can try the following to see if it helps any:

Highlight a section of the recording.
Hit "Effects" on the upper tab, then "Graphic Equalizer"
On the left sight there is a preset for "vocal cut" or something to that effect. Click it.
Now try the preview mode to see what you get. You can try to pull down the midrange levels in the graphic equalizer and/or boost up the low and upper frequencies too. If you hear something you like by trial and error, hit OK.

That said, I still think you're screwed.

Tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re: Lowering vocals from SBD recording? HELP!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »
layered compression will help bring up the signal of the lower sounds.  eq and reverb can also works wonder in combo with the compression.  if thre is any stereo panning you can do a difference/sum of the channels and isolate the voice and non-center panned instruments and mix to taste

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com