Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: batt life - recording mp3 vs. wav  (Read 2746 times)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
batt life - recording mp3 vs. wav
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
since mp3 files are so much smaller than wav files, does it require more juice to record to wav vs. mp3 in a device such as the jb3 due to file size or is the file size irrelevant to batt life?
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: batt life - recording mp3 vs. wav
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
since mp3 files are so much smaller than wav files, does it require more juice to record to wav vs. mp3 in a device such as the jb3 due to file size or is the file size irrelevant to batt life?

The hard drive will spin less, therefore you will get more battery life.  But I wouldn't trade battery life for sound quality.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

The hard drive will spin less, therefore you will get more battery life.  But I wouldn't trade battery life for sound quality.

thanks, that is what i was thinking.....i dont intend on recording to mp3, i was just wondering about the power consumption issue of the drive spinning more for the larger file....would this also be true for recorders without hard drives?
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »

thanks, that is what i was thinking.....i dont intend on recording to mp3, i was just wondering about the power consumption issue of the drive spinning more for the larger file....would this also be true for recorders without hard drives?

I dunno, but I would assume there is some amount of energy lost writting to solid state media as well...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com