Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: OPTICAL CABLE QUESTION  (Read 2484 times)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
OPTICAL CABLE QUESTION
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:09:19 AM »
Recently diagnosed a problem with my ra-ra optical cable (SPros) so I am in the market for a new one...here's the skinny -

running the UA5 vertically in a Plano 3335 gear bag, with the UA% sitting on top of a DIY plastic cage (@2.5" deep) on top of foam, this allows me to adjust the levels on the UA5 more readily as well as monitoring the peaks and what-not. My question is concerning the position of the optical cable going out of the UA5. I want to keep the opti-cable connected to the UA5 but I am afraid of wrecking to cable during transport. I am aware that alot of pholks run their UA5 vertically, so I am wondering if someone could suggest the proper way to run the opti cable and which cable would be the most appropiate? I have followed the links, but I am not too keen on ordering the SPros ones again...

thanks in advance,
Mark
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: OPTICAL CABLE QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
FWIW, I never had trouble running my UA5- vertically and using the double-ended right-angle mini optical cable.

A few suggestions:

• Ensure your UA5 is supported by it's case, and not by the cables running into it on the bottom.  Stressing the optical connection with the weight of the UA5 may cause the problem you mention.
  • Try securing the cable / UA5 connection in place with tape.
  • Also try running the cable along the body of the UA5 and securing it with tape, too, so it doesn't get bent around during transport.
  • Then, gently coil the remaining cable so it's not floating freely around the bag and getting bent, etc., and slot it into a safe spot in the bag before transport (e.g. not underneat a recorder or the UA5).

Do you transport with the cable hooked up to your recorder?  If so, I recommend not doing so - easy way to incur the problem you're experiencing.

Finally, you can get the same double-ended, right-angle mini optical cable as Sound Pros for about $9 at MCMOne.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 07:55:30 PM »
FWIW, I never had trouble running my UA5- vertically and using the double-ended right-angle mini optical cable.

A few suggestions:

• Ensure your UA5 is supported by it's case, and not by the cables running into it on the bottom.  Stressing the optical connection with the weight of the UA5 may cause the problem you mention.
  • Try securing the cable / UA5 connection in place with tape.
  • Also try running the cable along the body of the UA5 and securing it with tape, too, so it doesn't get bent around during transport.
  • Then, gently coil the remaining cable so it's not floating freely around the bag and getting bent, etc., and slot it into a safe spot in the bag before transport (e.g. not underneat a recorder or the UA5).

Do you transport with the cable hooked up to your recorder?  If so, I recommend not doing so - easy way to incur the problem you're experiencing.

Finally, you can get the same double-ended, right-angle mini optical cable as Sound Pros for about $9 at MCMOne.

If that link doesn't work, try this one out: http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=24%2D6475&cookie%5Ftest=1
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »
thanks alot for your input guys, I appreciate it. This whole opti thing is freaking me out because they are inherently delicate cables. I think I will construct some sort of tubing that will ensure it doesn't get jostled during transport and run the cable along the side of the UA5.  For those prices, I think I'll pick up two!
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:24:34 PM »
If you want seriously robust, you could always pick up one of these at Lifatec - though last I checked they only come in straight toslin-toslink, no mini, no right angle:

My guess is they'd probably stress the UA5 / JB3 connectors and trash the internal connectors instead of just the cable, though, so maybe not worth it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:41:58 PM »
thanks Brian, but I think the ra is the only way to go, especially if the UA% is being set up vertically. The stringht connexs would be fine, but once you start bending them to accomodate, it would problabley do more harm than what its worth as you mentioned. That cable looks bad-ass though! 

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:40:40 PM »
well, just to update, went to Best-Buy and got a Recoton opti-cable($20CDN) as I have a few show lined up. It isn't a ra but I have enough clearance w/ the wally mart cutlery cage the UA5 is sitting on...I also refurbished an old cardboard tube w/ lots o' electric tape to run the cables (coax/opti) up the side of the UA5...all the cables are nice a neat and aren't squished...thanks again for the inputs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com