Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neuros HD testing  (Read 16854 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Re:Neuros HD testing
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2004, 05:57:06 PM »

pick yer medicine, preferrably something that doesn't suck ;)

So I guess Jessica Simpson at the mid-state fair is out then ;)

Next show I'm going to is the Cayucos Music Festival in two weeks... Does cost $10, but there's going to be many bands that I don't care about so some experimenting can be done.

I'm gonna be in Irvine for Primus, but I doubt yer hitting that.

If it was within 2 hours I'd be there :(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:08:25 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 06:59:40 PM »

pick yer medicine, preferrably something that doesn't suck ;)

So I guess Jessica Simpson at the mid-state fair is out then ;)

Next show I'm going to is the Cayucos Music Festival in two weeks... Does cost $10, but there's going to be many bands that I don't care about so some experimenting can be done.

I'm gonna be in Irvine for Primus, but I doubt yer hitting that.

If it was within 2 hours I'd be there :(

I might be at the Cayucos thing, it's right before finals though...

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 04:12:46 AM »
here's some more info I dug up

• High-Performance Stereo Codec
– 90-dB SNR Multibit Sigma-Delta ADC (A-weighted at 48 kHz)
– 100-dB SNR Multibit Sigma-Delta DAC (A-weighted at 48 kHz)
• Highly Efficient Linear Headphone Amplifier
– 30 mW per channel into 32 #8486;

A/D Converters
Dynamic range, A-weighted, –60-dB full-scale input 85dB (min) 90dB (typical) Total harmonic distortion 1 dB input 0 dB gain -80dB (typical) ADC channel separation 1 kHz input tone 90 dB (typical)

D/A Converters
Total harmonic distortion (1kHz, 0dB), -88dB (typical) -80dB (max) Total harmonic distortion (1kHz, -3dB), -92dB (typical), -86dB (max) DAC channel separation 100 dB (typical)

Stereo Headphone Output
0-dB full-scale output voltage 1.0 VRMS
Maximum output power, RL = 32 #8486; 30mW
Maximum output power, RL = 16 #8486; 40mW
Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted 90dB (min) 97dB (typical) Total harmonic distortion, 1kHz, PO = 10 mW, 0.1% (max) Total Harmonic Distortion, 1kHz, PO = 20 mW, 1% (max)

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2004, 09:44:35 AM »
I ran the Neuros line-in recording at 16/44.1 with the RC Battery pack I made.  I got  5h 30m of continuous recording until the battery levels dropped all the way down.  I stopped there so I wouldn't lose the wav, and therefore I could check it for continuity.  Through calculations, it can supposedly record for over 6.5 hours onto one file, but without an a/c power supply or a larger battery pack, the batteries will first die.

Offline Chapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2004, 03:21:03 AM »
How long will it run on the internal batteries?
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2004, 08:38:35 AM »
I've been told 3-4

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2004, 06:44:28 AM »
Schwilly, i saw you taped Primus with the Neuros. Can you give a brief summary on how it went?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2004, 07:23:40 AM »
went well, I did unfortunately catch some skipping about 52 minutes into the show, but it seems to be isolated to that track.  It's not like MD skips, where there is a pause.  It is continuous, but still a noticable jump.  Only happened a few times within a minute time frame from what I know.

You cannot record with the caselogic case on because the fabric won't allow the 1/8" plug to penetrate (huh uhu uhuh) fully, but I might cut the hole a little bigger.

Sound Forge showed that I had overs throughout the show, but it's not audible.  The Neuros never went above 0 though, so I'm not sure what's up.

I used the RC pack for extra power, and the internal battery stayed charged the whole time.  Atleast another 2 hours of recording.  The only problem with the external batt pack is that the orange backlight stays on no matter what.  Not too much of a problem, unless you are concerned it'll give you away

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2004, 08:26:19 AM »
good to hear this, thank you. Seems like a good alternative to MD then. I was shocked to see the small level-meters on the JB3, how is that with the Neuros? Did it work in 'the field'. Can you upload a picture here,  of the Neuros-rec.levels when you are recording line-in. i think more people are intrested to see that.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2004, 08:32:15 AM »
good to hear this, thank you. Seems like a good alternative to MD then. I was shocked to see the small level-meters on the JB3, how is that with the Neuros? Did it work in 'the field'. Can you upload a picture here,  of the Neuros-rec.levels when you are recording line-in. i think more people are intrested to see that.

the levels are about as good as the JB3 meters but in a different way.

they aren't quick like a DAT or MD< they are very choppy, and the peak doesn't hold out for a while, so you can't really tell what yer topping out at without closely observing the numbers.  I'd recomend running well below what appears to be zero because you will rarely see when it DOES hit zero.  I got overs running my test and even at primus where I thought I was safe.  I'll get pics when I can, but I don't have anything that takes good macros right now

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2004, 05:25:17 PM »
so size is reallly the only advantage it has over the jb3 then, right?  the fact that it doesn't have any sort of digi in kind of makes it useless to most of the tapers out there who already have a a/d converter.  still seems like a jb3 would be the better choice (cheaper & digi in) between these two recorders.  
save

Offline timP

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2004, 08:27:49 PM »
if you guys don't really care about not running digi-in then the Archos  120 could be perfect with huge file sizes and visable, changable levels and really really small.
just my 2c.
?>FR2LE

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2004, 02:08:09 AM »
so size is reallly the only advantage it has over the jb3 then, right?  the fact that it doesn't have any sort of digi in kind of makes it useless to most of the tapers out there who already have a a/d converter.  still seems like a jb3 would be the better choice (cheaper & digi in) between these two recorders.  

[1]  there are plenty of tapers who don't have dedicated a/d's
[2]  has a 4GB file limit and not a 2GB limit
[3]  better meters (in my limited experience with both)
[4]  upgradable

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2004, 03:00:44 AM »
skips arent good tho schwill
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
[2]  has a 4GB file limit and not a 2GB limit

JB3 has a 3GB limit... Plus you can start a new recording on the fly (well almost)

I have to agree with Justin, unless your going to stealth with it without a a/d, then I think the JB3 is the way to go...  If they can upgrade the backpack with a digi-in though, I'll get one.
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com